MN Phesant Hunters – How’d you do?

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Any of you guys out hunting birds last weekend for the MN opener? How’d you do?

I’m sure everyone has heard that bird counts are way down. I had very limited expectations going it, but the one thing that gave me some hope is that the harvest is WAY ahead of normal so there is much less standing corn for the birds to hide in. In fact, I’d say this is the most corn I’ve ever seen out on the opening day.

I was down by Marshall. As usual, there were big groups camped out on the WMAs and other public areas starting at 6 in the morning.

My observations were that the bird counts were accurate. Way, way, way down. After the initial rush of shots between 9 and 11, it was rare to hear shooting. By 4:00 there were no hunters out on the back roads and the WMAs were deserted.

Confirming the fact that SW MN had a terrible nesting season, we were seeing pheasants that were about 10 inches high and could barely fly, so there were some very late nestings, probably the result of the first nests getting flooded out.

I have access to 1000 acres of private land including quite a bit of CRP. We did find birds resting in thinner, shorter CRP out of the wind on both days, but again numbers were far below even an average year, never mind the peak years of 2006-2009.

Total for 2 days of hard hunting with good dogs 3 of us flushed about 14 hens and we went 4 for 5 on the roosters we flushed. Partridge are non-existant in the area we hunted and we sadly haven’t seen any for 5 years.

It’s always great to be out there and I had limited expectations, so I wasn’t that disappointed. In fact, if anything we flushed more than I expected.

How did everyone else do?

Grouse

hop307
    Northern Todd County

I only made it out on Saturday evening. Walked a couple of my “guarenteed” spots to get aleast 1 rooster from. But only saw five hens. Was expecting more since the harvest is way ahead of last year, and I was hunting on private land.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

Numbers way low in south central area as well.
    However, unlike what you saw in Marshall area, where I was hunting, there was corn surrounding the entire acerage of CRP that I hunt. But in years past, even with corn standing around this acreage, you were still able to get enough birds up to keep the dogs (and hunters) interested. Not so this year. We only saw one rooster in the morning while sitting in a deer stand (7:30am)and heard nothing else crow. Over two days, only saw one hen while hunting and she wouldn’t/couldn’t fly.

The season is over in my book. I will spend the $$ to buy chukars at the preserve so that dog remains on some type of birds and then spend the other part of the weekend fishing pool 4

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Was expecting more since the harvest is way ahead of last year, and I was hunting on private land.

I think that was true of a lot of people. On Sunday morning the WMAs and the public areas were totally empty. Usually these areas get pounded hard both days, but there was absolutely nobody out on Sunday.

Most years it gets better later in the fall after the crop is out, the fair weather weekend warriors quit hunting after the first 2 weekends, and the birds concentrate in the heavy cover.

This year I don’t know if that will happen. Opening weekend may have been the best hunting of the year.

Grouse

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

idohunting

I posted a report on the hunting side. Considering some of the reports I’ve been hearing, we did very good. Its hard to say how the number of birds on this piece of land compared to years past. It definitely wasn’t like 5 or 6 years ago, but it was better than the past 2 years. I’m off to ND this week to hunt and then I’ll be back hunting MN for most weekends throughout the rest of the season. My realtives farm in the Willmar area and my cousin has been in the combine harvesting 2-3 thousand acres of beans and corn so far and hasn’t seen a bird yet.

orangewhip3x
    Blaine

I typically hunt the Cottonwood/Marshall area with access to quite a bit of private land right on the Redwood river. My cousin who runs the farm said that they haven’t seen any pheasant at all…Therefore, I made the executive decision to skip Pheasant opener for the first time since 1990. I went up East of Mille Lacs and between my buddy and I and my lab (Frank) we shot 9 grouse, 3 wood cock and 2 wood ducks in about 8 hours of hunting…I’d call that a sucess.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

My bro hunted the Marshall area and they got their limit on Saturday for 3 guys on private land by 11:30. They walked the same land on Sunday and didn’t see much.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Quote:

My bro hunted the Marshall area and they got their limit on Saturday for 3 guys on private land by 11:30. They walked the same land on Sunday and didn’t see much.

Shot them all?

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Shot them all?

Nope, they saw a good amount of birds on Sat from what he said. Probably a number of things, biggest being the hunted the same piece back to back days.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.