freezing corn question???

• chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

When you guys freeze corn, do you pack it in any type of liquid?

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

what I have been doing is blanching it, steaming or cooking for about 5 min, then goes into cold ice water rinse to shock it from cooking more. Then I put it vaccum sealed bags with a bit of butter. Seems to turn out okay.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I never add liquid when I vacuum pack corn for the freezer. It makes a big mess.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

I never add liquid when I vacuum pack corn for the freezer. It makes a big mess.

I also blanch and no liquid, and I don’t even vacuum seal, just baggie and get the air out as best I can.

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

No liquid for me either. I roast mine in the husk, then cut off the cob and place in vacuum seal bags.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

No liquid for me either. I roast mine in the husk, then cut off the cob and place in vacuum seal bags.

Nothing like opening up a sucked bag of bbq’d corn in Feb! We usually do up a couple dozen ears and vacuum it on the cob, man it smells wonderful when it’s 30 below out.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

I can’t be sure of the ratios since I am not looking at the exact recipe that I use, but I just pulled it off a website and I’m guessing its close. If you are interested in the exact recipe I can post it tonight. It’s friggen awesome. It can be done in ziploc bags but I prefer to use small containers…

4 quarts fresh-cut sweet corn (18 to 20 ears)
    1 quart hot water
    2/3 cup sugar
    1/2 cup butter, cubed
    2 teaspoons salt
    Directions
    Combine all ingredients in a large kettle; simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour into large shallow containers to cool; stir occasionally. Spoon into freezer bags or containers; freeze. Yield: 3 quarts.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

After cutting it off the cob I blanch it by roasting it in the oven with liberal amounts of half and half and real butter. I then cool it and scoop it into zip-loc bags pulling all the air out and freezing. Its awesome!

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Corn with a sugar water mixture, in the oven for about 15 minutes. then everything into the bag for me. Crap thats Saturdays project…. Soo many veggies to save so little time….

jhorn

Good recipe, tip for cutting, use an angel food cake pan, put the tip of the ear in the center hole. Cut the corn it all falls into the pan. Works great.

finman

Quote:

Good recipe, tip for cutting, use an angel food cake pan, put the tip of the ear in the center hole. Cut the corn it all falls into the pan. Works great.

That’s awesome!!!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Very good idea, I’m going to do it.

mrwalleye
    MN

Nuke your corn in the husk for 2 minutes, flip and do it 2 more minutes, peel under cold water and eat, or do it 1 minute less and peel and dip in ice water for 2 minutes and cut off cob or freez whole. I never boil or steam my corn anymore

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

I blanch, cool, cut and then freeze the kernels on cookie sheets in the freezer. Vacuum pack and they are not one big frozen blob. Easy to use 1/2 of a package and reseal for the next meal.

Pete

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

blanch in turkey cooker filled with water, put in cooler with ice water, cut off cob with twister knife, fill up quart freezer bags and freeze. Simple and awesome. Just had some for supper and tastes like just came off the cob.

sandmannd

I leave the husks on and just put it in the freezer. When we want corn, we take it out and soak it in the sink for a while, then put it right on the grill husk and all. Turns out great.

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

OK – here is what we tried this year in IA – someone told us this works great. We did not heat it, blanch it or anything. Just cut it right off the cob and bagged it. A person will cook it a bit to warm it up anyway so goes the thought behind this. When I questioned this to why wife she said – “Why do you NEED to blanch it anyway – what purpose does it serve”. Of course the only answer I could come up with was – That is the way it has always been done. I sure hope it works

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

my understanding is to bring out the natural sugars.

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

You’re timing is amazing. I’m cutting corn tonight and freezing it. I fill a quart size freezer bag about 3/4 and add 1 & 1/2 cups of cold water, a few dashes of salt and 1 tsp of sugar. Squeeze the air out and seal it up, voila!
    I freeze some every year! Enjoy

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.