Isle Royal

• ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

I know that someone on here will have the anwser…

Has anyone drove there own boat out to Isle Royal National park, and if so how big was your boat, and how long does it take to get out there ???? I would like to go there for a few days and was wondering if you could take your own boat out there. Sounds like a real neat place.

Thanks, Mike

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

20 miles southeast of Grand Portage, MN – that’s a lot of open water to cross……careful.

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

There is an old wives tail out there that the safest boat on Superior is an 18 footer because it fits perfectly in between the swells. More importantly, understanding its weather patterns, your equipment, and safety measures are what should be the determining factor on how big of a boat you need.

My Ranger 619vs is going there next weekend, WEATHER PENDING! Trip plans to there should be tentative until the night before.

Just a few items that can assist in safe travel:

-Marine Radio w/ good coverage

-Use well traveled routes (fairy routes and know their travel times)

-Identify your Gas Stops (there are only 2)

-Plan your route and know your MPG/GPH (Ie. My one way destination is 58.2 miles, @ 40mph and 15gph I will use approx. 21 gal.

-From any single spot (that I go) automatically assume to be 20 miles from gas so at 8 gal remaining its time to turn around.

-Must have up to the minute weather reporting (WX or Satellite)

-Flares, FE, First Aid Kit, Jumpers and dedicated fresh battery, extra floatibles and ropes.

-Travel Partners (extra boats) are nice.

-Know First Aid, CPR, Swimming Skills, etc.

Keep in mind two things:

-Tourney fisherman can run 100 miles to one spot, and there are kayakers that make the 165mi loop around IR. If you are smart and prepared like them, you are good to go.

-If you pull up to your local ramp on a weekend, then unload your gear from your truck and take off your boat cover, then back down, then hook up a rope and wade your boat out to the dock and tie it up, then realize your motor doesnt start, Isle Royale is not the place for you.

Good Luck, Be Safe, and Think Smart with the decision you make.

finman

Pm Grant Sorenson – he’s been there recently with his girlfriends dad I believe. Heck of a fisherman from what I read here! Wealth of knowledge!!

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

I go to Isle Royale at least twice a year and it is an awesome location for fishermen, hikers etc. I have been there in 24 foot boats and 30 foot boats. We see plenty of 18 and 19 foot “walleye” boats out there, you just gotta use your head. Make sure you leave portage at day break to give you the smoothest crossing, shes a different beast out there! Once you are out there, you can always find shelter/calm water if the wind picks up, its just the crossing that can get harry. Give me a call if you have any questions, 218 348 0682.

I could type for hours as there is so much info. Make sure you stop at Windigo if you are staying in a shelter on the island. You will need a permit. There is also a gas station there so you can fill up. Gas was $5.40 in july, just a heads up.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

I have been out there in a 18 foot boat! The trip out was great, fishing was great as well but we were caught out there for 2 extra days because the weather didn’t permit us from comming back!
    Check on the requirments for Coastal Waters. I believe that it is required to have a Flare Gun, Marine Radio is optional and other things suggested! Here is a link!

Lake Superior Boating Tips

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

Grant – You may as well just drop er’ on the hitch at about 5pm on 8/25, JC and I will be coming through town about then….Just a thought..

Taz – That excuse works good out there

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

1991 – 1700 Pro- V tiller

It took 40 minutes across glass. smooth water. But I was young and full of P&V.

Dog

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.