trailering with electronics still on boat

• jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    SW Michigan

My wife’s cousin keeps giving me grief because I remove the electronics off the boat before trailering down the road. Do you trailer down the road with electronics on the boat or off?

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Always leave in the boat unless the rare time comes where I am going somewhere I don’t want to leave the stuff exposed. (Theft, extreme heat or cold) I think the more you unplug those connectors, the better chance of having a problem, that and I can’t see any other good reason to remove as I am lucky enough to keep the boat in a garage.

Scott26

I never remove mine making short trips 1 hr or less. However long freeway type trips like to rainy big stone, I do and put them in the truck.

I think all the rattling in the boat isn’t he best for them.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

My wife’s cousin keeps giving me grief because I remove the electronics off the boat before trailering down the road. Do you trailer down the road with electronics on the boat or off?

The only time I’ve ever removed mine was when I was in Canada and the roads were bad. Other than that they are in the boat 100% of the time.

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

Quote:

If your wifes cousin wants to keep HIS electronics in HIS boat, then that’s his choice. Your boat, your electronics, your choice.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

MIne ride in the boat attached to their location. Never an issue to date.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I only pull mine off for theft reasons. Otherwise, they stay in the boat.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

X2

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Long trips, they come off.
    Short trips, they stay on.

Boog

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

I don’t care if i’m driving two blocks, my electronics are always unplugged and covered, and in the cab of my truck.

they are too expensive to worry about the 2 minutes it takes to hook them up at that ramp.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

X2

X3

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote:

I don’t care if i’m driving two blocks, my electronics are always unplugged and covered, and in the cab of my truck.

they are too expensive to worry about the 2 minutes it takes to hook them up at that ramp.

X2

it only take one time for an unexpected thing to happen (rock hitting it) to do something. For the three minutes it take it is well worth my time.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

2 HDS 10’s & and an 8 in the boat. Rarley come out in less I’m really concernded about theft!
    The road bouncing is way less than what usually happens on the water.
    Never had a problem!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Quote:

Long trips, they come off.
    Short trips, they stay on.

X2
    I also don’t store my boat here between trips, and always remove them when stored.
    Jack

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

if I am going almost anywhere than the 6 blocks down to the Croix I take mine off. I cannot get my snap cover on with the dash mount. the bow mount is a plug and play humminbird so that takes no time. i have a small SUV to haul the boat. i put a lot of things in the boat so I almost always trailer it covered.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

FOLLOW UP QUESTION:

Do you guys taking your electronics off. Do you have a tiller or a counsel with bubbles?

The guys keeping your electronics on. Do you have a dual counsel with walk thru windshield?

I have a walk thru and I put the cover on. So other than vibrating (which I have a very sturdy mount) which I’m not concerned with. They should be well protected on the boat.

joemama
    North St Paul

i always take mine off..had an old hummingbird that got water into it driving through the rain worth the effort and the 3 minutes now with the more expense equipment it’s a no brainer

Scott26

walk thru windshield and I take mine off…bow and console.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I used to leave mine on,
    but I fish a lot by myself
    and one trip
    while i walked to the parking lot and brought the truck down,
    GONE,
    so never again, I carry it to the truck now.

shaley
    Milford IA

Single console here mine always stay on untill winter then they come inside. No matterif a 3 mile drive to the local ramp or 500 miles to Vermilion, they also stay on while tied to the dock at the resort….

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Tiller, and they stay on.

But I don’t have anything fancy on mine.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Walkthrough here…and mine HD7 comes out mainly due to theft concern (harbor overnight and/or trailering). Only takes a minute at the gas station for someone to stand on the fender and reach around the windshield and unhook it. I don’t have money to easily replace the one I got.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Walkthrough here…and mine HD7 comes out mainly due to theft concern (harbor overnight and/or trailering). Only takes a minute at the gas station for someone to stand on the fender and reach around the windshield and unhook it. I don’t have money to easily replace the one I got.

Not that I’m a fan of theft. However that’s why I have insurance. $500 for a new HB 1198 and HB 958 seems like a heck of a deal to me.

Of course I do everything I can (within reason) to prevent theft. I don’t loose sleep over it either.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Not that I’m a fan of theft. However that’s why I have insurance. $500 for a new HB 1198 and HB 958 seems like a heck of a deal to me.

Of course I do everything I can (within reason) to prevent theft. I don’t loose sleep over it either.

i’d rather keep that $500 and spend about 3 minutes total time for connecting and disconnecting my electronics.

how long does it really take to do a few plug-ins and tighten/loosen a ram mount?

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

how long does it really take to do a few plug-ins and tighten/loosen a ram mount?

Less than a minute…I also use a Jonny Ray mount which makes for quick removal.

I have insurance, but would rather not have to use it.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

That deal isn’t so much a deal when your on your way to the week long fishing vacation and they get swiped imho.

Walk through and off…always.

Al

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

my dash unit is permanent and had locks on it. My 788 comes out for travel. It cant hurt. I am planning on upgrading the 998 to a RAM mount and then it will come out as well. That way the thieves wont have anything to look at either.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Quote:

and you wonder why our rates never go DOWN. Being proactive is never a bad thing in my world, but that is just me

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

Quote:

i’d rather keep that $500 and spend about 3 minutes total time for connecting and disconnecting my electronics.

So would I, but then there are those that seem to have lot’s of disposable income

whittsend

Quote:

Do you trailer down the road with electronics on the boat or off?

I don’t trust a $50 Ram mount with a $2000 piece of equiptment. It comes off, every time.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.