Walleye. Dead Walleye

• docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Some will rail on me for this, but did anyone else have a queezy stomach and feel like puking after seeing all those dying or teats-up dead walleyes during the FLW weigh in?

Now, the MC stated the first day that all dead walleyes would be cleaned and donated to the local food pantries—-so I guess that makes everything ok-right?

I think not. Now, I am not against keeping fish to eat, I do it all the time, that was not the point of this event: It was to make BIG money off of a fishery in which they damn well know all the fish are more than likely going to die!
    This was not a catch’em and eat’em campaign….

Warm water, walleyes, livewell ride, temp. changes(shock)=’s dead walleyes days later.

So my question is, who’s going to go out there in the Bay, scoop up all the floaters and fillet them up? FLW?, nope they will be long gone.

A new day has come where the these resources, no matter how vast, are repected and conservation held at the forefront (AIM’s format for example)–did the FLW do this, nope-just did “the best they could” which was a frickin’ CHEAP excuse.

Where was the WDNR in this? They should have required this to be a kill tournament-least the MDNR has the guts to do that (Lake City MWC) and other local tournaments have stated “this is a kill tournament” -not sugarcoating things and putting on a fake front.

I am sickened to think of all the large, female walleyes floating dead in the lake this week—I wonder if all the fisherman feel the same way? The FLW should have required all the fisherman to KEEP their fish–least that would have guaranteed none would be wasted.

All the FLW did was exploit a resource, no matter how vast it seems, show zero respect under the ruse of promoting conservation, make a quick buck off the environment and in the end fed the turtles.

Maybe the next warmwater FLW walleye event should import turtles to clean up their mess a little faster?

Don’t tell me, FLW, your “doing your best”–that is a joke.

Black-eye FLW,,,,,black-eye.

Jeremy

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

All about the $$$$$$$.

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

Good luck. I got my head bit off around here when I brought up the dead, floating bass after hot weather tournaments. It’s all about revenue to the area if I remember right…

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

I won’t rail on you for your thoughts, you have a point, but I wonder how many fish are dead because of the non tourny fishermen catching and stressing fish in these hot temps?

You can’t hardly imho tell the tourney guys/gals they can’t do something and let how many million fishermen continue to do it, meaning like culling or catching fish in heat hot enough that fish are stressed and maybe kills released fish.

Only answer I have is to not fish when it’s hot enough to stress fish, and that won’t go over well for just about everybody.
    Al

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I won’t rail on you for your thoughts, you have a point, but I wonder how many fish are dead because of the non tourny fishermen catching and stressing fish in these hot temps?

You can’t hardly imho tell the tourney guys/gals they can’t do something and let how many million fishermen continue to do it, meaning like culling or catching fish in heat hot enough that fish are stressed and maybe kills released fish.

Only answer I have is to not fish when it’s hot enough to stress fish, and that won’t go over well for just about everybody.
    Al

My thoughts exactly. I am a CPR guy, but these things are going to happen. I mean if we are really concerned about it the DNR should be able to close the season if the water temps reach a certain threshold.

I just except the fact that when I or anyone else fishes, some fish are going to die.

Tucker02
    Mn

I agree with you 100%. If these organizations truly care about our fisheries, they wouldn’t have tournaments in the heat of July. Everyone in the walleye fishing community knows it is a deep water bite this time of year and the mortality rate is 100%. This has been proven on Mille Lacs by a state funded research as well as other bodies of water. Sponsors should bare the burden of responsibility because they enable this tournament fishing. Will it change? No, there is too much money involved. So before casting stones at the Native Americans for netting,everyone needs to look at their own practices as far as wasting a resource. In my eyes they are both an indiscriminate waste of a precious resource.The difference between tournaments and recreational anglers is the recreational anglers will use the fish they catch and they aren’t as efficient at catching. There is really a big difference but I too accept this and know it won’t change. It’s about the waste.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I agree with you Doc 100%

I find it hypocritical for a tournament fisherman to spout catch and release and then go out in a Tourament that they know the fish they will catch are not likely to live.
    I think the fisherman in the tournament need to step up and take resposability for it also.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

I agree with you Doc 100%

I find it hypocritical for a tournament fisherman to spout catch and release and then go out in a Tourament that they know the fish they will catch are not likely to live.
    I think the fisherman in the tournament need to step up and take resposability for it also.

I totally agree…. if your holding a walleye tourney, you will have some die off…period. What I have seen done in tourneys (at Mille Lacs) is a penned in release area….floaters ARE gathered, fileted and taken to the area nursing homes. To go out specifically to CPR in warm water temps, is each individuals choice, whether it is a tourney fisherman or not. The age old argument about how a CPR fisherman, is giving the fish a better chance of survival vs. the guy keeping a meal, will continue. CPR will argue, my fish have a “chance” at survival, the pan fried have zero chance…. the meal fisherman will say, I catch 4 walleyes and am done… CPR catches 12 walleyes, releases them all and 6 die.. who took more ??? No way around it, it has turned from a subsistence for most, into a sport. I only hope if they had a bunch of dead walleye floating, that they put them to good use.. to me, feeding the birds and turtles dead tourney walleyes is not “natural” but man consuming what he caught, is.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

The lake will be just fine everyone. Is there dead fish being weighed? Yep there sure is! There is also how many THOUSANDS of anglers out there keeping their limits day after day. If the DNR is permitting the tournaments and bringing in how many thousands of dollars to the local economy then so be it. The all mighty dollar will always win everyone it is how it is and get used to it we live in America. The CPR draws nowhere near the crowds and revenue that the FLW brings into the picture. Lake Erie is a prime example to compare Green Bay to..It is a HUGE body of water and has how many charter boats that go in and out daily with 4-7 pound fish being filleted out and year after year we see how many 40 lb+ plus bags brought into the scale and it is still go strong. If you’re going to throw weigh tournaments under the bus then so be it everyone has their right to an opinion no doubt. Topics like this do nothing more than give tournament fishing whether, it is CPR or weigh tournaments, a black eye causing a big old p!ssing match between everyone that solves nothing, zero, nada!

The DNR out there does a HELL of a job with the tributaries to Green Bay in the spawning run to protect these fish unlike a lot of other states/fisheries to make it what it is today. An if I remember right I think I read somewhere at one point that in a large body of water, such as Green Bay or Erie, it is encouraged to keep the larger fish to help low to mid 20″ fish stay healthy as they are the major factors in the reproduction chain. An again I am not saying dead fish floating after is a good thing. If it was my opinion make this thing a catch’em and keep’em event and donate to the food shelves to help fill the freezers for those in need.

I normally do not jump in on these, go nowhere topics, but it just chaps my a$$ seeing it year after year go nowhere. All this topic will do ONCE AGAIN is split the sides of tournament anglers and tournament haters. An for the record I have fished both styles of tournaments and have no intention in changing a thing unless told otherwise. Other than that this is all I have to say, so have a wonderful weekend everyone and don’t forget to watch the weigh ins today at 3! Should be some good bags brought to the scale!

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

Quote:

Al

There is just a tad bit of difference between toting around walleyes in a livewell all day long and releasing them vs. The casual angler who has the fish out of water for seconds or in a lot of cases not out if the water at all. I have fished tourneys and in general don’t have a problem with them but I think the AIM series is onto something but E is right, the almighty dollar will always win out.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I got the first hand lesson on how vulnerable large walleye are to real warm water, a little drawn out fight and deep water only a couple weeks ago. Mine died and I have since eaten it. Not the best meal but still better than floating.

Maybe the dnr should amend the rules regarding tourneys so that they cannot be held at all when water temps exceed 50 degrees or between March and November. People can still fish, but the fish have a far better chance of surviving when the water and weather is colder.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

No worries Jammie I know i am always right!

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I won’t rail on you for your thoughts, you have a point, but I wonder how many fish are dead because of the non tourney fishermen catching and stressing fish in these hot temps?

Al

There is just a tad bit of difference between toting around walleyes in a livewell all day long and releasing them vs. The casual angler who has the fish out of water for seconds or in a lot of cases not out if the water at all. I have fished tourneys and in general don’t have a problem with them but I think the AIM series is onto something but E is right, the almighty dollar will always win out.

Be interesting to see how many non tourney fishermen actually cull or release immediately.

I don’t know, but past exprience seems to lead me to more cull than you may think…maybe not, if so..you have a point.

Al

Walleyebry
    Isle, mn.

What people fail to realize is the tournaments on Lake Erie are kill tournaments. In case you dont know what that means is that every fish weighed in will be dead. The only only differance on Erie is the average fish is 7lbs. not 4lbs. like on Green Bay. Even with Aim tourneys there will be mortality. Plus the fact that you can fish all day and sort through dozens of fish, not being limited to no cull, the mortality rate could be quite high also. 80+ degree water temp is bad for fish no matter where you go. I know guys that wont even fish muskies now because they are worried about mortality. I live on Mille Lacs and even though you have to release every fish between 18 and 28 inches right now, there still is quite a bit of dead fish out there. I dont think it matter what concept you use, you are going to have dead fish either way. The only way to prevent this is to not have tourneys when the water is this warm. Using AIM concept wont make alot of difference.
    Walleyebry

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

I thought culling was illegal in MN??

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

I’ve seen studies from mille lacs where even in the heat of summer that 85% of fish released lived. I understand a few might die thereafter. But knowing this how can you say AIM style tourneys wouldn’t help?

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

This is correct.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Flw could have stated this is a kill tournament, that’s what it is. I disagree, this is not a going nowhere topic and it’s time has come. They could have kept the fish and it would have been their legal right to do so. Far as CPR goes, catch measure release, which is really not any different than regular fishing catch and release, would have far less mortality than catch, ride in live well in 70 plus water temps, get transferred to various holding stages in a tub with various water temps, then transferred to a holding station to be dumped back into the lake totally stressed—there is no comparison and only a black eye. That is the black eye that is separating the tournament angler from the non tournament angler. Sure, overall gb will be fine— but it does not make it right. Big money makes people do funny things and make weird justifications for their actions. I will stand behind my opinion, but wil also repect others. I feel my point is valid.

Walleyebry
    Isle, mn.

Keep in mind that it is very important to keep those fish alive in a FLW tournament. With winning sometimes only decided by mere ounces, every non releasable fish brought to scale deducts a half pound off your weight. 5 fish = 2.5 pounds. That could cost a guy 65K. So dont be so naive to think we dont care about our fish after they are in the livewell.
    Walleyebry

fishnutbob
    Walker, Mn.

I also thought as I watched the live weigh in all those large fish and not many moving in the tank.

They do give them to a food shelf and the FLW live tanks they hold them in are the best.

On leech Lake this year they lost very few fish but our water was cooler. People like to see the fish come to the scale. AIM is a good format but this helps the local economy brings dollars in.

They try to do the best for the resource at these events could it be better yes maybe hold it earlier when the water is cooler.

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

Who says you don’t care about them. Doesn’t take rocket science to see the outcome in the circumstances given here.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Reguardless of how it effects the population of any body of water, I can’t get passed the idea of some well known fishermen telling all of those who are willing to listen the importance of CPR in order to sustain the populations of any spieces in any given body of water.
    However when the decission comes to keeping fish in order to move up the tournament board,or to make more money,or to enhance their reputation. The fish than becomes less important than the gained results.

So to reinforce Docs point: its all about the money and the fame.

Walleyebry
    Isle, mn.

Culling is illegal but if I catch a 19inch fish by law on MIlle Lacs right now I would have to let it go. How many fish die on Winnebago? They have dozens of tournaments there every year. Why doesnt anybody talk about that? And there is always alot in August when the water is the warmest. So if I bring 5 fish to the scales and 1 or 2 die, how many would die if I were to handle 15 to 30 and let them go?
    Walleyebry

Indytransplant
    Pierre, S.D.

Doc, I agree that a lot of fish die in this case. So out here in Pierre the Izack Walton and Walleye Unlimited have asked the directors for the donation of fish for community
    fish frys and fish dinners after river/lake clean up.
    We believe that is the best over all use as the walleye feeds are donation only, no charge community events. We have several tournaments in the area each year, FLW, Governors Cup, and other area company tournaments. I have voluntered several years now at the cleaning stations as that gives me a good feeling about the situation.
    That is the reason I’m more concerned about CPR tournaments as the dead fish are wasted. But the gulls and pelicans clean up and deserve to live also.
    just MO

coreybjorgaard

Quote:

just a little clarification,culling is not illegal in mn,just certain waters(mille lacs,border waters,special reg waters)you can up-grade or “cull” all day long as long as your possesion limit is not in the livewell.ex. if you have 5 fish in the livewell you can upgrade all day until the 6th fish is reduced to livewell.I have consulted several dnr officers and the mn dnr office and have recieved clarification from them all saying the same thing its perfectly legal as long as you dont have limit in livewell..

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Sometimes it looks like..
    From the rulebook.

“”Once a daily or possession limit of fish has been reached, no culling or live
    well sorting is allowed. No culling is allowed on Mille Lacs or Wisconsin
    border waters (see pages 25 and 58).””

Appears until you reach your limit, in many places you can cull.
    Al

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

I am going to take a shot in the dark and say that this time of year when release mortality is an issue, and the way the bite is on most lakes in this time period, that most fisherman are not going to be in a position to be tossing back 15″ fish in replace of 17″ers. pretty much all fish that are going to be the released are released immediately.

coreybjorgaard

Quote:

I am going to take a shot in the dark and say that this time of year when release mortality is an issue, and the way the bite is on most lakes in this time period, that most fisherman are not going to be in a position to be tossing back 15″ fish in replace of 17″ers. pretty much all fish that are going to be the released are released immediately.

just trying to expel the notion that culling is illegal in mn cause its not,not saying whats right or wrong in warm water,if I decide to keep a fish for the fryer it typically stays in the livewell unless special circumstances(next fish is deep hooked and wont live anyways,something like that)what people forget is not every situation is always black and white,every fisherman has had some circumstance at least once

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

No I’m glad u posted. I learned something today. I thought once a fish was in the well u couldn’t put it back.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.