BWCA Trip?

• bclii
    MN/AZ

FW is going into the bwca thru gunflint trail with 5 friends at the end of the month. never being in there myself,I was looking for some information on what she may need to bring as far as bait? Jigs, cranks,spoons,plastics,colors? I gave her a nice 6′ lite 2-pc spinning rod and reel,spooled with 6lb to take with. She loves to fish and has been my fishing partner for many years. Just looking to help guide her to a few fish.
    Thanks

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I never went into BWCA without 1/4 oz pink jig heads and white split tail mister twisters. Caught bass, pike and walleye all on the same setup. Very easy to pack and use. You can jig it drag it or pitch it. Good Luck

d-train

Which entry point are they going out of? Target species? I don’t know what the water temps will be like then but I can tell you in early June the walleyes off the Gunflint liked a gold rapala F11 slow trolled with 1/2oz of lead ahead of the lure. In late July might want to look at trolling shad raps in natural colors. For live bait leeches are hardy but still require some babying. Change that water a couple of times daily and sink them in the lake at camp. Lindys and slip bobbers on reefs should do it.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

BWCA.com has a fishing forum. A lot of great information. Like this site a lot of people willing to share information.

bclii
    MN/AZ

Quote:

Which entry point are they going out of? Target species? I don’t know what the water temps will be like then but I can tell you in early June the walleyes off the Gunflint liked a gold rapala F11 slow trolled with 1/2oz of lead ahead of the lure. In late July might want to look at trolling shad raps in natural colors. For live bait leeches are hardy but still require some babying. Change that water a couple of times daily and sink them in the lake at camp. Lindys and slip bobbers on reefs should do it.

She’s not sure of the entry pt.There meeting in Grand Marais. Probably will fish for Eyes and smallies, but she will fish for any action.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Is she goin with 5 girl friends? If so what entry point and what’s the date?

d-train

Quote:

Quote:

She’s not sure of the entry pt.There meeting in Grand Marais. Probably will fish for Eyes and smallies, but she will fish for any action.

Be aware that there are a lot of entry points off the gunflint that give access to primarily pike and laker waters. Hard to know how to target without knowing what’s swimming.

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

Quote:

BWCA.com has a fishing forum. A lot of great information. Like this site a lot of people willing to share information.

X2. . . The two types of water she will encounter are gin clear and tannic. She will want shad bodies in natural colors and one or two oddball colors. Pink/white is an excellent color combination, gold and silver jigs with plastics/pouches of Gulp! and a daredevil spoon will catch just about any species in the water. These are not pressured fish and the water is not fertile so the fish are hungry and not particularly wary.

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

ME TOO – I basically go along with what has been said with jigs and some Raps. I NEVER go without my tiny torpedo and/or skitter pop, just in case you get the right conditions for top water small mouth. Most my walleyes have come from the jigs, northern, bass etc from the Raps.

bclii
    MN/AZ

Thanks Guys, Thats some good info. I’ll post after their return trip.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.