Deer Lake, Itasca County

• krisko
    Durand, WI

I was wondering if anyone can give me some info on Deer Lake and Moose Lake by Deer River, MN. We are possibly going to be fighing there with our family the last week of this month. I have never fished it before and am just wondering if there are some tips or public hot spots to hit. You can message me if you want or post it up here. Plus, has anyone had to deal with the Wardens and not being licensed? This shut down in Minnesota sucks, between our gov here in WI and yours we are in a world of hurt!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I grew up on Moose Lake. You’ll love it up there on either lake.

One thing that’s a blast to do with the family is just slowly troll in the reeds around Moose in the early afternoon on a warm day. The big muskies are up in the shallows (1′ – 4′) sunning themselves. Really cool to see.

On Moose especially WATCH OUT FOR THE ROCK. There are 5 or 6 sunken islands with HUGE rocks. The entrance to Voight’s Bay has a rock that’s marked. It’s as big as a house, literally. It’s about 1.5′ under the water. A lot of fun to dive off of.

Moose also has some huge Smallmouth. The walleye fishing is good, but can be tough. The water is super clear (can be 20’+ water clarity). So dusk and dawn are good walleye times. The 2 sunken islands in front of the landing used to be great at dusk.

For Crappies/Bluegills, don’t exclude Little Moose (connected by channel) and Cottonwood Lake (about 4 miles from Moose).

Deer is another great lake. Same characteristics as Moose. Extremely clear and sandy. Great family swimming lakes.

As far a license. Fish without it. I wouldn’t let that ruin my vacation.

Where are you staying?

1hawghunter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Wade hit it on the mark. Both lakes are great to fish. Both are gin clear so early and late fishing is the beat. Pay attention to the markers as there are serious rocks on both lakes.
    Arnie

krisko
    Durand, WI

Thanks for the info guys greatly appreciate it. We are staying with some friends who’s family has a small resort up on Moose Lake. I have to say I don’t even really know the name. They invited us to come up and relax. They said the bass fishing was awesome and that you can hook into some eyes in the early morning and evening. I was also pleased to hear about the crappies and gills too!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.