A Memorial Day Tribute

• mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Ovenight I received an email from a friend (a Veteran) from our HOG chapter asking if I’d like to join he and his wife and a few other couples (several of them Veterans) in a ride today to put on some long awaited miles on the Harley’s, find a spot for lunch then attend a new Veteran’s Memorial dedication in Rockland just west of Sparta. It didn’t take Bea (the Favorite Wife) and I long to accept. It felt great to finally get out and put some miles on the Harley but what awaited us at Rockland was even more special.

A young man, a junior in H.S. as a project for his Eagle Scout badge organized, raised funds and put this together as a tribute to Veterans which will be here for all to enjoy for years to come in this small rural town. He and his brother gave nice talks along with a veteran who read a poem that he had written and the Bangor American Legion dedicated it with their color guard and a rifle salute and taps. There were many local people in attendance and it was a great local tribute to our Veterans. The tribute on the back of the monument the young man wrote himself.

The final touch to the monument will be solar lights on the flag poles to properly illuminate the flags every evening.

A job well done by this young Eagle Scout – his parents are very proud.

God Bless and Thanks to all of our Veterans

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Awesome monument,
    and
    sure must of been a nice ride, capped off with a tribute and a salute.

Jack

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Very impressive young man, well done

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Very nice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.