Missouri River

• herb
    6ft under

Looks like it’s going to be crazy high on that river system for a long time this year. Lots of rain through out the drainage and add on the melt from 150 to 300 percent of normal snow pack.

sandmannd

My parents live in Bismarck. They are about 5 or 6 miles from the river. They need to sandbag, they are going to open the gates up to 150,000 Cubic Feet Per Second in June. It’s going to be a mess for a while.

Brian Lyons

Quote:

Looks like it’s going to be crazy high on that river system

I think you’re crazy high Herb

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Gavins Point is at a record high for water released per second and they are going to double it to 150,000 cubic feet per second.

Boat ramps are all closed right now below the dam.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Been thinking about you already Herb.

Lake Oahe Post

Unfortunately for many along the river they are going to experience nothing like they ever have before. There is a large amount of anger being thrown towards the COE, very misguided in my opinion. It’s not like the Corp controls rain and snow fall amounts.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

First off imagine this, these pictures were taken this AM, by Thursday the water will be at least 4 feet higher, so not too much imagination on where we will be here shortly…scary.

1st pic is the truckload of empty sandbags going down to get filled up. There was one more box truck following this truck/trailer, full of empty bags.
    2nd Here is the boat landing, river is closed
    3rd Parking lot will be under shortly
    4th Bike trail is under water
    5th looking across the river at South Sioux City NE, they will get the brunt of the real bad stuff.
    6th Last year this was where the RAGBRI riders were camped at.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

The area we hunt in North Dakota on the Sheyenne river is very wet yet. Now the COE is looking at dumping more water into the Sheyenne river and there is nowhere for it to go other than over the bridge and river in our area.

The renters cannot get across the bridge to get thier cows down to calf as thier is already too much water.

The COE’s need to figure out a different way to deal with the water other than just flooding everyone else out.

A few years ago many did not get thier crops in until mid June and many fields were not planted.

Seems like the more they mess with the natural water flow, the worse it gets every spring.

kooty
    Keymaster

These pics are from 1952 before Oahe was built. Anyone recognize anything??

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

Quote:

Anyone recognize anything??

wow. cant believe the hop scotch was there in ’52.

have spent a few $1 bills in that place

but we usually preferred the “higher class” entertainment down the street at the silver spur/bad river bar.

on a more serious note … gotta feel for the people along the river in pierre and ft. pierre – yet another flood of historical proportions.

kooty
    Keymaster

Oh, the stories I can tell about those places….

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

were you that guy that … oh, nevermind.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Those pics I took off the boat landing here is Sioux City, they are now saying the water might end up 7 feet higher than the pictures. There are Black Hawk copters hauling in huge sand bags 3 days straight, South Sioux NE will get the worst part, they sit lower than Sioux City. Places up and down the river will all be under water till Sept. Things are going to go from bad to worse next week when the dam at Yankton starts cranking out 3 times the record flow. Up to this point the river is just below flood stage, and that is just from all the rain water.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

The Hop Scotch

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Flow will go up to 150,000 cubic feet per second. Twice the record amount of 75,000. At least that is what I’ve been hearing.

kooty
    Keymaster

Oahe will be releasing a 150,000 cubic feet per second starting middle of next week into July. There is a butt load of water to come your way. I heard yesterday several of these dams have never had the emergency spillways ever opened since they were built.

kooty
    Keymaster

The Missouri River water shed is a massive son of a gun. See the attached pic or link:

Hydro Dams Page

huskerdu

Quote:

Oahe will be releasing a 150,000 cubic feet per second starting middle of next week into July. There is a butt load of water to come your way. I heard yesterday several of these dams have never had the emergency spillways ever opened since they were built.

My understanding is the spillway on Sakakewa has never been used, the COE released some water last week and is making sure it usable, the COE said they dont know how the water will flow once opened? poor people down stream are having a tough time, I cant believe they let people build in a flood plane!

herb
    6ft under

Back when the idea of damming the Missouri was put on the table, a warning was issued of something like this happening in the future. Most of those towns, homes, and farms were there long before the dams and people dealt with what nature dished out.
    “I can’t believe they let people build in a flood plain”, is like saying I can’t believe they let people build in areas of a hurricane happening, tornado alley, an earth quake fault line, or just about any place on this earth where mother nature might put a hand on you.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

everyone lives in a flood hazzard area, just to what degree of flooding. FYI flood insurance is available to everyone, don’t wait to protect your assets till the water in lapping at the front door. If there has been a flood where you live in the past 50 years, chances are there will be another. I have done the max $250,000 policies for $461-$1,200 depending on the NFIP number and flood zone map giving the degree of flood probability.

huskerdu

Quote:

Back when the idea of damming the Missouri was put on the table, a warning was issued of something like this happening in the future. Most of those towns, homes, and farms were there long before the dams and people dealt with what nature dished out.
    “I can’t believe they let people build in a flood plain”, is like saying I can’t believe they let people build in areas of a hurricane happening, tornado alley, an earth quake fault line, or just about any place on this earth where mother nature might put a hand on you.

If you notice (in Bismark) most of the homes in danger were built in the last 20 years near the river-the homes that are in danger were not there when I grew up in Bismark,sorry for the misunderstanding

kooty
    Keymaster

Some more pics from the Oahe Dam. If you’ve never seen this structure, it’s something to behold.

Oahe Dam

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.