Grilling Steak Advise

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

The way I like too grill my steaks is over hot, white, charcoal and 2″ above them. I like my steaks rare, the type where the blood comes to the top and then you turn them over. I agree with letting sit at room temperature and seasoning right when you take them out of the refrigerator. By the time the steak gets to room temperature the seasoning sets in and binds to the steak, I also rub the seasoning in so it doesen’t come off while grilling. I like lemon pepper, a good shake of Lawreys and a good shake of garlic salt or powder, to me garlic seasoning enhances the other flavor in the steak. I don’t like mine completely cooked, I like mine rare where theres blood on the plate. I understand other like thiers done a little more but for a rare steak this is the way I do mine. The longer you cook it the drier it gets, I like mine where the juices are setting on top the steak, then serve.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Allow steaks to warm to room temp, brush with olive oil, grill/sear/broil as fast as you can (use high heat) and still achieve the desired doneness. Basically, grill it as fast as you can without burning it. Only flip once (use tongs and not a fork). Try to maintain the max heat on your grill so don’t lift the lid on your grill numerous times. Allow the steak to rest without heat for as long as it took you to grill it. This will allow the juices to move back into the steak making it more juicy. I typically use sea salt or kosher salt (do not use fine table salt) and season right before I serve. If you salt and season before you grill, it will bring moisture to the surface of the steak and water basically sits on the outside of the steak and you end up steaming it versus grilling it and sometimes the center of the steak will get done before you get the desired crusted outside texture. Your steak will also end up looking gray in color versus brown.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Most high end steak shops would cook them under a 750+ degree broiler. Done inside 5 minutes max. The room temp tip is a very important one!!

Alton Brown did a porterhouse episode once and shared an easy method to approximate the high-end broiler and a good steakhouse. I tried it–soooo tasty! It worked great on a ribeye, too

Alton Brown Dry Aged Chimney Porterhouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

My grill hero is the guy who is on public television sometimes. Steven Raichlen.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

if you buy charcoal, get a bag of lump charcoal also, the lump will burn hotter and quicker, the reg charcoal will last longer with a steady heat for the potato’s.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

speaking about charcoal, this is the weekend I stock-up at Home Depot, $9.97 for 2-22# bags heck of a deal!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Lots of good steak advice! I have a bit of my own…Start with the right steak. If I am going to try to impress someone with the best steak of their life, I go to Byerlys and buy dry-aged prime. Believe it or not…an aged sirloin will kick a filet or a New York’s backside! I worked at a rib and steak house for a lot of years growing up and dry seasoning is added up front. Salt draws moisture out and that can hurt you if tender and juicy is what you are after. If it is 1-1.5″, 7 minutes per side…and off!
    For Rib Eyes…See Dustin Sterart at the IGA in Rochester! Dustin made James and I rib eyes when we were guiding on Mille Lacs once, and I can still taste them!!!
    BTW..McCormick makes a dry rub called “Roast Rub.” I use that on steaks that I grill. I is fantastic! I add sea salt if even needed after cutting it.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

My steaks must always be naked, except a little salt and a little pepper. And steak sauce only is allowed for sirloin cuts or less.

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

The deal at Home Depot got better.

They advertised in their circular $9.97 but in the stores it’s marked at $7.97.

I got 160 pounds over lunch today

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Seriously, I do most of steaks on a cast iron skillet now, I’ve done grills enough, they turn out just fine, but, a hot, hot sear on a cast iron pan, and tossed in the oven with a thermometer until it hits 125 for me if freakin perfect, a few years ago, I would’ve suggested you were indeed on crack to do it other than a grill.

You want to talk about seared! try cast iron, (alton brown youtube for how to)

Oh and I generally switch up to safflower oil for my cast iron pan, olive oil burns at too low of a temperature and doesn’t work for real cast iron searing.

I’ve going to go one step further someday in the near future and Sous vide my meat to cook it and sear it to finish it, totally perfect medium rare 100% of the way. I fully expect this to blow ever other steak out of the water.

A little on that…. http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-sous-vide-steak.html

duckhuntrrus
    Lexington Ne

A good fillet should be prepared rare to medium rare.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Good God, fire up the grill, cook to your liking at eat the damn thing

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Good God, fire up the grill, cook to your liking at eat the damn thing

That’s pretty much my thoughts, “good” food is good to who’s eating it, not neccesarily anyone else.

Rib eye’s are our go to steak, get the weber up to max temp 550+ and sear both sides at about 4 mins each, then reduce flame and cook to desided doneness.

Little salt & pepper, hint of garlic and a bit of butter is usually all that’s added.

I do like a very small bit of Hienz 57 on them occasionally.

We also do Chuckeye steaks from time to time, good cheaper steak and it has lots of flavor.

Al

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.