Painting aluminum?

• walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

I want to get the painted portion of my boat re-painted. It’s just a simple v-bottom aluminum fishing boat. I have done this before but using a brush and you could see the strokes in the paint, I’ve tried spray painting it myself but you can see lighter spots and darker spots no matter how hard you try.

Does anyone have any tips for making a smooth streak free finish? I’m thinking of calling a body shop and seeing what it would cost to paint….

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Did you prime it first?

It will take a primer and probably a couple coats with a good paint gun to get a even finish.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

it’s always taken me at least two coats to get a smooth cover. i don’t know how the pros do it. amazing…

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

Strip it, clean it (very, very, good), prime it (top quality) mask it, light wet sanding between each coat, on second thought let the body shop do it!

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Also becareful on what primer you use on aluminum, used to be zinc cromate was one we’d used, if I remember right, but I’ve been told there are other primers out there that work well.

Don’t apply to heavy a coat, usually lighter multiple coats work better with smooth steady strokes.

Al

Chris
    Rochester, MN

It’s a big job so let a body shop do it unless it’s going to cost a lot… If that’s the case, buy the equipment yourself and have it for the next project.

…of course we stripped and painted the entire outside and a lot of the inside of a 16 footer. A smaller area won’t be as bad.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.