New Gander

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

It’s a scenic 25 minute ride to Winona.

So…spend another 20 bucks on gas to save 5 bucks at Gander. I don’t drop hundreds when I shop like you do Blue

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just wondrun, anyone shop on line?

I need some 3M Ultrathon and so far Gander is the only place that stocks it “this time of year”. I’ve looked at ordering it on line…but with shipping two $7. tubes comes to $21.

I know it’s only $7. but that’s another tube.

Always weighing the price of gas to shipping costs.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I’m finding myself shopping on line more and more. That is if I’m sure of the item I’m purchasing. I still am a touchy feely kind of guy when it comes to making a purchase on something I’m not sure of.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I hear you Bret. Nothing like sending things back for whatever reason.

Re: Touchy Feely Guy…don’t ever change friend!!

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Can you make a vomit emoticon for us bk?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Now don’t be picking on Bret, he’s a Fleet Farm guy ya know…but then, given the alternatives…who isn’t?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

i wonder how long it will be before the name on the store says BASS PRO SHOPS instead of Gander.. and not I am not starting a rumor, I am just stating an opinion..

I have been trying to find the story and don’t want to miss quote anything but, just last year I believe it was Bass Pro, was denied land to build on in Onalaska because of one jerk. They were going to gobble up 1.5acers of wet land. The area considered wet land is a dump and mosquito heaven. In return they were going to establish 4 acres of new improved wet land. Makes no since, in return more than twice the wet lands plus new employment for the area.

If the people sitting in the higher seats around the La Crosse and Onalaska districts don’t pull there heads out of there you will not see this happen

cspierings
    Oregon, WI

They are remodeling the local Gander here in Madison. Per the guys I have gotten to know in the fishing section they are cutting down on the retail area for fishing and guns making way for their academy and moving the indoor archery. The balance of the retail area lost is being taken up by the back room/storage lost making room for the academy. Before the remodeling they severely discounted a bunch of products to get them out of the way.

I don’t know if their merchandising practices will change but what I have seen in the last year is that the local store has cut way back on selection and appears to be focusing on specific brands with the Gander house brand featuring very prominently. If you want a reel right now the selection of anything that isn’t Gander is fairly limited. Yes they have some Shimano, a few Abu, an Ardent or Lews, maybe a quantum but it’s very limited. The rod selection is pretty anemic as well. When I questioned what was going on I was told that most of the ordering is being done at the corporate level with certain percentages of the total order allocated out to the various stores. When those items sold it is very difficult to get new stock from corporate.

I am not making excuses or complaining just passing along what I learned from the guys behind the counter. Right now the local Gander’s inventory leaves a bit to be desired but knowing they planned to do all this remodeling I bet they limited their buying to save on the cost of inventory sitting around or that they might have had to discount to get out of the way of remodeling.

Maybe it will get better maybe not. In the Madison area we have a few other places like D&S and Dorn to shop that do a lot for the fishing community and I usually try to give them a long hard look and shot at my business too plus when need bait I know it will be there and in good shape.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

well I just know that a pile of extremely nice lures in a 4 foot by four foot section “disappeared” last year at gander. and I was told that they couldn’t “afford them”.. there may be others here who may know even more then this locally..

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

Quote:

Quote:

i wonder how long it will be before the name on the store says BASS PRO SHOPS instead of Gander.. and not I am not starting a rumor, I am just stating an opinion..

I have been trying to find the story and don’t want to miss quote anything but, just last year I believe it was Bass Pro, was denied land to build on in Onalaska because of one jerk. They were going to gobble up 1.5acers of wet land. The area considered wet land is a dump and mosquito heaven. In return they were going to establish 4 acres of new improved wet land. Makes no since, in return more than twice the wet lands plus new employment for the area.

If the people sitting in the higher seats around the La Crosse and Onalaska districts don’t pull there heads out of there you will not see this happen

this happened in Green Bay instead of Onalaska.. this was to be part of the Packer shopping mall/ hotel area..

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

its too bad that we can’t get an ACADEMY store here. they are located throughout Texas and then into the southeast. You name it, they got it, guns, fishing, and then all the other sports as well. they are the size of the old WalMart store. and they are PACKED.. and you haven’t seen discounts like you see there. No, not even Wal-stein’s can compete with them..

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

this happened in Green Bay instead of Onalaska.. this was to be part of the Packer shopping mall/ hotel area..

It also happened in Onalaska. I’m still looking. I sent the dumb arse an e-mail thanking him also

It was in the La Crosse trib. last fall.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Very good read cspierings

When I lived in Little Prairie I hit the Madison store often. I do miss the Gander there.

I think it is all a sign of the times. Yes, even the box stores are doing whatever necessary to make a go of it until the economy straightens out.
    The academy was a big hit at the La Crosse store. If that is where the money is at that will be Gander’s main focus at this time.

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Quote:

Quote:

What is it with Bass Pro that cities or people don’t want them around? It was only 2 years ago or so that Bass Pro wanted to build a huge store at the Mall of America but the Bloomington city council wouldn’t approve the project. They claimed they didn’t see it adding to the Mall would bring in business. Even the Cabelas that is in Owatona was originally going to be built in Winona but again another city council that wouldn’t approve the project. What is wrong with these cities?

Boone04
    Fountain city, WI

Well I started this thread I should respond a little. It’s nice to find what your looking for in 1 spot instead of 10. Somebody said the tech center is a waste or something on that line, well I don’t think they would put it in if they new this wouldn’t make them a dollar. As for the academy is a great idea me and my gf got a tour and wow what a setup, they have 6 virtual shooting ranges and my gf has never shot a handgun and what a great way to get her introduced to guns in that waywere she can be safe and not worry about shooting live rounds and I think this is a great way to get anybody involved in shooting

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

As for the academy is a great idea me and my gf got a tour and wow what a setup, they have 6 virtual shooting ranges and my gf has never shot a handgun and what a great way to get her introduced to guns in that waywere she can be safe and not worry about shooting live rounds and I think this is a great way to get anybody involved in shooting

X2

Ingy

What is it with Bass Pro that cities or people don’t want them around? It was only 2 years ago or so that Bass Pro wanted to build a huge store at the Mall of America but the Bloomington city council wouldn’t approve the project. They claimed they didn’t see it adding to the Mall would bring in business. Even the Cabelas that is in Owatona was originally going to be built in Winona but again another city council that wouldn’t approve the project. What is wrong with these cities?

It’s not that the cities don’t want them around, the cities just don’t want to pay the extortion money these guys are always asking for.

Ingy

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.