New Gander

• Boone04
    Fountain city, WI

Just wondering what everybody thought of the new Gander Mt. in la crosse? I was really impressed with how much more room they actually have.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I was down there last week and it is a very nice store. Now the trick is to have them keep the shelves stocked. I liked the store much better than the old one.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Now the trick is to have them keep the shelves stocked. I liked the store much better than the old one.

Agreed. It’s a nice store, but it won’t be worth squat if it doesn’t have tackle to sell.

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Nice store, but I see its the same old Gander b.s. Was there Friday looking for Rattle traps and asked a guy in the fishing department and was told they don’t have them. They forgot to order them. One of the best times of year to use them and true to form they don’t have any. Nice to see they picked up where they left off…. Its very seldom I ever shop there and I don’t see that changing.

For how profitable Gander Mountain seems to be these days, just think how much more profitable they could be if they employed and payed an $1-2 extra per hour to individuals that have and understanding and passion passion for the outdoors, as well as a willingness to help others find the right products?

I think G.M. would benefit greatly by taking note of how Thorne Bros. or Joe’s Sporting Goods operates their business.

Although we are in a bit of a recession these days, quality service is still very important to most consumers, especially when you have comparable stores to shop from.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

That’s kind of not so funny since I’ve tried to get hired on board with GM. I guess, it could just simply be that the department mgr’s don’t really want to hire someone who may know more about fishing tackle junk than they do. That person might suggests ordering certain lures or equipment for the store.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

For how profitable Gander Mountain seems to be these days, just think how much more profitable they could be if they employed and payed an $1-2 extra per hour to individuals that have and understanding and passion passion for the outdoors, as well as a willingness to help others find the right products?

I think G.M. would benefit greatly by taking note of how Thorne Bros. or Joe’s Sporting Goods operates their business.

Although we are in a bit of a recession these days, quality service is still very important to most consumers, especially when you have comparable stores to shop from.

Too funny they’ve shamless terminated two of the best employee’s they’ve ever had, for no reason… Seriously, they problems start at corp, and filter down through the stores.

IMHO they are a crap company that treats the employees like crap, pay them like crap.

So even if they had these people they would be more than smart enough NOT to work there because their skills wouldn’t go unpunished.

Seriously I have first hand knowledge of this, terminated my wife due to pregnancy, course we couldn’t afford to retain a lawyer and the State of MN which said we had a case (we did) decided to get lazy and not try and pursue anything even though the discriminated and illegally “terminated” my wife, in reality all to save a buck in the Corp office, cause they are complete idiots when it comes to managing the company or their money…. The stories I could tell…

The only thing more worthless IMHO is MN’s department of Human rights……….

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Quit shopping at a GM years ago and have not found a need to go back.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

My first impression was that it looked like a department store that sold sporting goods. Seemed a little fancy for me. I’m not sold on the checkout proceedure, either. With that said, I hopefully won’t have to visit it much this summer as I was able to purchase $200.00 worth of lures and plastics when they were going out of business.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

My first impression was that it looked like a department store that sold sporting goods. Seemed a little fancy for me

That’s b/c their profit margin on clothing is a lot more than it is on tackle… Where is Bass Pro Shops when you need one…

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Quote:

Quote:

My first impression was that it looked like a department store that sold sporting goods. Seemed a little fancy for me

That’s b/c their profit margin on clothing is a lot more than it is on tackle… Where is Bass Pro Shops when you need one…

True about the clothes. But I was even referring more to the layout, lighting, and style of displays. I’m sure their marketing research played a large role

Fireash911
    Holmen, WI.

I was really impressed with the new GM, now they can have twice as much of nothing vs. the old store.

pool-8-lax
    La Crosse Wisconsin

I stopped in last week on tues before my turkey season to see the new store. I was in need a box of turkey loads and found some on sale. I then took a walk around to see what else was in the new store and found it lacked everything I was looking for. It seemed that they were a little expensive on all items and the fishing department lacked alot. Now, I understand that they are just getting open but if it was my store I would have made sure to make the best first impression at my Grand Opening. Know a guy who went last week was looking for Model A Bombers the clerk gave him a big run around and a story to match about ordering them for him. Oh by the way I went to Fleet farm and found my turkey loads were cheaper.

erod61

Hate it. Want the old store back. I don’t care about the Tech Center, night vision goggles or $1000.00+ binoculars. I want plenty of tackle and equipment relevant to the hunting and fishing we do around here at decent pricing. They can also take back the TJ Maxx type maze checkout system they put in. I won’t go there unless they have something I can’t get elsewhere.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I’m not going to beat up on Gander Mountain. The store is new and will take some getting use to, it is hard for anyone to get use to change but in time I bet it all comes together.

I will still shop there for certain items and check out there sales. I thought for the amount of people going through the store Saturday they had a good number of employees on hand that were very helpful. It was good to see Butch in the fishing department and I’m sure my next few visits I will be lookin’ him up to point me in the right direction.

The Academy was cool. It will be great when conceal and carry is permitted for taking the classes required.

I would also be willing to bet, most everyone complaining will find themselves in the store more than they are thinking or willing to admit at this time

For now I’m keeping an open mind and will be stopping in again soon.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Sweet, I’m heading through there in about a week can’t wait to stop in.
    I love sporting goods stores and don’t need my hand held while rummaging through all great stuff I can’t afford!

Bash away bashers….

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

It was good to see Butch in the fishing department and I’m sure my next few visits I will be lookin’ him up to point me in the right direction.

Butch has always been helpful and honest. One of the very few reason I go to Gander.

FDR

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

not a gander fan in general. if u price match most fishing products to fleet farm or most other stores it’s not even close.

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

I live 30 seconds from gander here in Rochester and ill drive the 9 miles down to fleet farm when I need tackle. I went in there last year around memorial day looking for chartreuse gamagatzus. They were out of course and I was told they weren’t getting anymore in the rest of the season. That same day I bought the last 2 spoils of black 210 denier string for tying hairjigs, they still haven’t gotten anymore in.

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

I’m at a point where I’m over saturated with all of the stores. My inlaws are over near Cabela’s-Owatonna and I’ve been there so many times that the thrill is long gone. The new GM is very nice, but I walked out feeling just the same.

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

….I have to add that I was pretty impressed with a Lew’s Tournament Pro reel they had and dang near walked out with it.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I agree that the store is nice and that there are some over priced items just like everywhere you go. When I am in town I will stop and look around but don’t always buy – ok maybe I usually buy something . I did feel that the fishing inventory was on the lighter side and I know the margin is on clothes for them but I will still go to these stores be it Cabela’s, Bass Pro, Gander, or Fleet Farm when I am in the area. I also love stopping at the little bait shops and other places like Reeds and Thorne Bros. It all just depends on where I am and what I am looking for.

HYBES
    SE MN

Not a big Gander fan here either.Bottom line,OVER PRICED!! One positive note,they do add-match.FleetFarm for me and Cabelas 2nd choice.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Good for you that have a fleet farm. Walk into the La Crosse (of which area the post is about)farm and fleet then tell me which you would prefer

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

yeah we lost out that we don’t have a Fleet Farm. its not even close..

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

It’s a scenic 25 minute ride to Winona.

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

I visit that Winona Fleet Farm quite a bit, and it’s about as close to me as the new GM. Now that is a one place stop. If they don’t have it, you don’t need it.

greatwhitenorth

Gander can kiss my ***. It’s bad enough that every time I go there I can’t find anything (last trip I was looking for a specific Gulp product and they had gulp in 11 different locations) and get “help” from a kid who looks about 12 and doesn’t know ANYTHING.
    Every time they build a new store they are closed for months and have NO store. They then have a grand opening expecting everyone to be excited about it.
    I would be perfectly happy if they kept the same crummy little stores, stocked them with what I needed, and staffed them with people that possessed enough knowledge to be helpful.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

i wonder how long it will be before the name on the store says BASS PRO SHOPS instead of Gander.. and not I am not starting a rumor, I am just stating an opinion..

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.