cooked fish in limit?

• chomps
    Sioux City IA

I’m glad this discussion comes up at least every year, each time we catch someone by surprise when there are different limits on certain bodies of water than that of the statewide limit, isn’t that right Big G?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

As far as the LOTW owner, is it possible that resort owners who package fish have some sort of strange loophole that he was referring too? When we have been at LOTW, they will clean, package, label and store our fish for us. Are they somehow able to co-mingle limits in some way?

Also, a CO would have a tough time identifying the species once cooked or pickled.

I once asked an officer if we needed to leave the patch of skin if we are claiming that the fillets are walleye. Since you cant confuse an eye for a fish with a smaller limit (musky, northern, trout, sturgeon, etc), what is the harm? He said that technically you still have to, but unless you are claiming that they are perch and over the eye limit, you arent likely to be ticketed.

sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

Save a lot of trouble.cook a few fish. Let all the rest go have a blast practicing catch and release and don’t worry about it.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

I’m glad this discussion comes up at least every year, each time we catch someone by surprise when there are different limits on certain bodies of water than that of the statewide limit, isn’t that right Big G?

Yep… these threads are kinda like picking through the &h1z to get the corn out… If you have 1 piece of cooked fish too many in your fridge at the lake, don’t let them in !!! Just go eat it first…. DUH !!! (there, I should have just taught alot of people about search and seizure) If I was the only one that learned something last year, then I guess I am dumb…. either way, the scenarios being spelled out here, you have a better chance of getting hit by the moon. I can’t imagine a CO wanting to see what’s in your tupperware in the fridge.. if they do, you might be a huge azzhole Right Chomps

buck-slayer

Eat all the fish you want just don’t ever have more than your possession limit before cooking.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

This is why I store all my fish in my neighbors freezer. I just tell him I don’t have enough room.

That reminds me, I should have him take out a few walleye for the garden.

big_g
    Isle, MN

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Once you’ve eaten the fish they are actually still in your possession until, well you know…

I was waiting for the term “cavity search” to come up when discussing COs and their search for fillets

herb
    6ft under

Why would pickled fish even be brought into this mess? Without using the forensic tools of a laboratory, or the guilty conscience of the suspect, how is a CO going to tell what species of fish is in the pickle jar?
    It could be sheephead loins, bass, northern, or even cod. Why would pickled walleye even be considered?

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Quote:

I can’t imagine a CO wanting to see what’s in your tupperware in the fridge.. if they do, you might be a huge azzhole Right Chomps

I actually remember some new C/O or DNR guys going through camp when they first started tightening up the slot on Mille Lacs, nothing was off limits, all campers were gone through and all baggies and tupperware were looked at, cooked or uncooked. Good thing they didn’t brush up on counting skills cause after they left we figured out that the one guy heading home grabbed the wrong bag of fillets and we were technically 1 1/2 fish over, so had they been able to count we could have been slapped with 2 fish over. We made a quick fish sandwich. I imagine land owners in the area get that false sense of security that there is no way the freezer will get checked, I suppose you fix the limit problem by having fishing licenses from a couple different states. I have 3 states so far, might be 5 here soon.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Why would pickled fish even be brought into this mess? Without using the forensic tools of a laboratory, or the guilty conscience of the suspect, how is a CO going to tell what species of fish is in the pickle jar?
    It could be sheephead loins, bass, northern, or even cod. Why would pickled walleye even be considered?

Exactly. Pickled or canned.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly. Pickled or canned.

That makes sense. I actually was thinking about making prepared fish cakes to bring up to cabin and the thought did go through my mind about the daily limit thing.
    Whew, now I can rest easy knowing my tuna sandwich is safe sitting next to my fishcakes.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hopefully your buddies won’t label your canned tuna…

UPPER RED LAKE WALLEYE

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

That would be mean because I think dolphin gets put in their cans or was it musky.

Fishhound

Two years ago we got pinched for being 2 fish over the posession limit. We were cooking our meal when the warden showed up. We had our fish cooking and had the take home fish cleaned/packaged and ready to go for the next morning. My brother got upset with with the warden and stuffed his mouth with burning hot fish. Said “count again, we’re not over”. The warden’s come back was that we were still over possesion limit because we had too many fish heads in the gut bucket.
    The fine was worth paying just to see my brother burn the hell out of his mouth trying to eat the evidence. Said it was 10 times worse than any pizza burn he ever had.
    Since then I only do catch and release….. less hassle.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Since then I only do catch and release….. less hassle.

Too funny!

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.