Optimax surgery

• docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Well, saved up for this repair—like most vehicles these days, have to tear apart the whole ENTIRE thing to just get to one part. Long story short, lower motor mount (lower yoke) seals let go some time ago and corrosion is never a good thing–so to get to the heart of the matter had to pull the powerhead and off with the lower unit.

Good news is, least the spark plugs will be easy to change.

Like they say, if your going to do the job…..do it right.

P.S. had to include a walleye pic in there to least brighten the mood a little bit!

KirtH
    Lakeville

You dont mess around

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

lower motor mount (lower yoke) seals let go some time ago …

How did you know this? Curious what to look or look out for!

-J.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Good thing they know what they are doing. I would have called you and told you your parts were in and you could pick them up

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

If you had a motor like the one in your fish picture you wouldnt be having this issue J/K

It is a process that is for sure

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Wow, way to tear into it Doc I hope she’s better than new when your done

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Jon,
    If you take the lower unit and pull it up and down, the play is obvious at the lower yoke. Mercury has since replaced this part with one made out of stainless. Why the seals went bad is anybodys guess, but some have told me it could be due to people tilting the motor too tight into their transom saver, putting undue stress-whether this is true, I don’t know. I have grabbed many opti’s and other motors over the past 3 years and have found none with the slop mine had–so I am hoping this is just something that happened to my motor and not commonplace.
    Unfortunately, this is not a cheap fix!

huskerdu

It WILL NEVER RUN RIGHT AGAIN! HA HA

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I was surprised I didn`t get a call…. To do it in the shop without a work bench.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

If you take the lower unit and pull it up and down, the play is obvious at the lower yoke.

-J.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.