Looking Ahead to the Opener

• Anonymous

This will be my group’s sixth year doing the opener at Big Stone. Last year was snowy and windy with only 4 walleyes caught between six guys, although all were over 5 lbs. Can anyone give me a report on how the winter bite has been, or failing that, does anyone have any thoughts or predictions about this spring’s bite ( I heard it was pretty weak all year?)

PMR aka Big Northern

Anonymous

Yep, was there last year too. What a disappointment, weather-wise. We worked our butt’s off to catch fish. The Big Stone opener has been an annual ritual goin’ on 7 years and last years bite was completely off, pretty much all season.

This year should be a good one. If we have a typical spring the fishing patterns will be bottom bouncer rigs with livebait, pitching small jigs to shorelines and casting plugs during the day and lighted bobbers on shallow rock piles after dark. Jon

ps. I’m not sure if am going this year??? Kinda burned out on Big Stone…but I’ve been known to change my mind.

Anonymous

Thanks Jon,

We’re going to give it another try for sure, even if the bite’s as bad as last year you can’t beat the feeling of driving out there with the boat behind a full week before the MN opener.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.