Big Stone – Weekend Report.

• Anonymous

I did make the annual trip out to the lake. Fished Friday and Saturday (5-3 & 5-4). The bite right now is terrible! The lake has an early algae bloom that coats everything you toss into the water with that green goo! Even pitching jigs or vertical jigging was futile. We found that tossing a slip bobber out for a short drift was the only way to put a bait down. However, our efforts went un-rewarded.

My partner and I did decided to enter the WWA on Saturday. Figured if we got lucky enough to put 2 fish in the boat we would probably cash a check. We got zero’ed. Of the 45 (give or take a couple boats) teams, only 16 weighed in. 8 something won it, big fish was 5.6. So my prediction was accurate, we just did not get into any fish.

Terrible weather to boot…. Strong south wind on Friday had the water stirred up pretty good. That was followed by a cold 25-30 wind straight out of the north on Saturday with rain mixed in. No fun this year!!

Well, that’s fish’n!

J.

Anonymous

I almost forgot….

I’d like to thank a good fisherman who visits this site and took me up on my offer to share my boat last weekend. Thanks again for sticking in there during a tough bit and crappie weather!

J.

Anonymous

Jon,

That sounds all too familair. That goo is no fun. We were out there a few years ago for one of the USFA tourneys and remember the goo. You’re right the cold water bloom is real tough to deal with and is not just on the surface, it was up and down in the water column that year. We ended up trolling with bottom bouncers in shallow water and planer boards with the bowmount behind the islands to get anything going. For some reason the goo was not as thick back there and learned an important lesson that… go where the carp are early in the season! It still was a full time job the keep the rigs clean but using the bottom bouncers help keep the baits cleaner for about 10 seconds longer!!!!LOL

Sorry to hear about the conditions. No fun at all.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.