Need Help

• Anonymous

I’m headed out for the opener and have never fished Big Stone. Were are some key areas to try. I think were camping at schmitts landing(were ever that is). Is it mainly a jig bite? How about trolling/throwing cranks?

Any info would be great

Thanks,

Erik Haslund

Anonymous

Finally!!! Somebody who is giving Big Stone a try. It’s a great walleye lake once you figure out the bite and it’s different every year. Some years the fish are shallow and others they are deep (deep is relative, it’s only 15′ deep). The lake is 25 miles long and approximately 1/2 mile wide. Schmidts landing is on the South Dakota side approximately 2/3rd’s the distance up the lake and it’s a great place to camp. I stay on the MN side just north of Ortonville at a campground. It’s directly across from the islands, which in some years is a good area to fish. The problem is the whole lake has the potential to produce fish. With this in mind, move frequently if you are not contacting fish.

In general start shallow, pitch jigs with bait, jigs under slip bobbers, cast and troll plugs. Also, bring bottom bouncers with spinners and floaters for water over 6′ deep. Hope this helps and let us know how you did. Jon

Anonymous

If you are going to Big Stone Buds Bait can get you good information on what is working. I would start by pitching jigs shallow. Some of the best fishing early in the year is had by dock fisherman with slip bobbers.

Also be sure to stop by the Matador restuarant. Its under new ownership and they are great people.

Anonymous

I’ll be heading out for the opener and then back out for the May 4th WWA tourney. Been doing the Big Stone Opener for 6-7 years now. I love it out there. The people you run into are just great folks.

I’d love to hook up with some FTL guys and share info. I’m trying to get the “Guys” together but am having a hard time this year. Seems everyone I know is either having kids or taking care of the “To young to fish” kids!!

If anyone is interested, I can set up reservations at a hotel. Double rooms are in the $40-50 range per night, ($20-25 per guy) We have been staying at this place in Millbank (10 miles from lake on the SD side) Has a restraunt right there and a huge parking lot. Away from the all the hoopla…but not too far. We usually put in at the SD state park. Great ramps and fish cleaning stations for $5 bucks a day.

Post a response or send a PM for more details if seriously interested.

As far as the fishing goes, I like to run cranks out on planner boards real close to shore. The cranks are running in less than 5 feet of water most of the time. When we find fish, we pull into the same area and cast cranks to them. Real fun fishing.

J.

Anonymous

I agree on the shallow water think for stone. I prefer to work either slip bobbers , or work the shorelines with jigs or cranks early in the year. For most of the early summer, there are lots of fish to catch shallow — usually less than 5 feet, although if there’s a hot bite for the opener, there could be fish just about everywhere.

Hey Jon J, are you going to fish the chamber tourney there also? I’ll be there on the 4th and 5th for the SD and MN tournaments, but thinking about the chamber tourney also, depending on whether they can fill it or not.

Eyez

Anonymous

No, I have other plans for that weekend. I hate to say it, but that tourney will be a hard one to fill. (May be wrong, but I’d guess 35 teams)…. No real advertising. Late getting it announced. Same weekend as several other events. I would have liked to see it right on opening weekend. Levels out the field a bit with no pre fishing.

I’ll be out there May 1-2-3-4 !! Look for me in a Red Yarcraft Wrangler, or give me a holler on channel 68.

J.

Anonymous

Aye, if I see you I’ll yell. I’ll be there friday in my warrior 166 tiller. We may fish the MN div. tourney on saturday, or prefish, haven’t decided yet, but we’ll be fishing on sunday for sure.

Eyez

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.