Big Stone opener

• Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Well I did make it out for the Big Stone opener this past weekend and I am still drying off!
    Fishing overall was slow, however we did manage to put a few fish in the boat Saturday am!!
    With the wind blowing hard out of the south we decided to cast cranks to the windblown shoreline! That produced all of our fish! 5 fish total to the boat and we also had a few walleye follows, yes walleyes would follow the crank right to the boat side just like a northern or muskie!!
    I did manage to catch one heck of a huge fish! I don’t have an official weight on this carp but I am putting it close to 30lbs!
    Snagged in the tail!!!!!! What a battle for 15 minutes with my trolling motor on 80 chasing it around the lake!! Thank god I was using my green rod!
    All in all it was still fun to get the lines “wet” (that is an understatement) again! If the weather ever decides to clear up I am thinking I will make a return trip this weekend!
    Good luck to all!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

another photo of the beast!!!!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Hey Cal, You now have Rock Star status in the UK!

They have a bad rep in the states but they sure do fight. I bet that was fun. Call me when it stops raining.

If you’ve got the itch you can come on down to the Iowa Great Lakes for the Walleye opener this weekend. 65 and sunny!

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Thanks for the report. What a fish! I really enjoy Big Stone in the spring and had planned to go but “whimped out” with the wet and windy forecast. Last year’s escapade in the wind and sleet is still pretty fresh in my mind plus the price of gas held us back. Maybe this weekend,…

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Nice South Dakota state fish there, Cal.

The report I got from Schmitt’s Landing was about the same as you reported. Mostly slow and a lot of the walleyes caught were in the 13-15″ range.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

You now have a new title,….Cal Carpman. Who drives to the border to fish for what people are shooting bows and arrows at in small creeks right here at home.
    Nice fish carpman

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.