opener on Big Stone

• MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Anyone else planning on heading over this weekend? I’m already packed for friday and I can’t wait! Nine days in a row and looks like good fishing this year.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Probably won’t be out there until June but will be waiting for your report.

Ingy

I’m skipping the Croix for the 1st time to fish Big Stone. Never been there before, any tips?

Ingy

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Stay home or at least go somewhere else.
    I fished the FLW out there last year in May and the Grand National in Sept. Last year we had a normal spring…with the early spring this year the “green slime” will probably be out in full force. If you have never experienced the green slime…it sticks to and stains everything. I would suggest the car wash at the top of the hill down the street from the Sunrise motel each night if the slime is bad.
    Big Stone has some great walleye fishing but honestly it wouldn’t break my heart to never wet the boat in that body of water again.

As for tips.
    If it is at all slimey and you are trolling just put a small split shot a couple feet above whatever you are trolling this will catch the majority of the slime that slides down your line. You have to check lines often and when you pull it up try to not get the gob of slime on the sinker it in the boat, once it wads up about the only thing you can compare it to would be a glob of green oilbase paint.

Casting jigs with minnows or shad raps to shorelines can be productive too. We caught a lot of fish prefishing casting jigs with fat heads to rocky areas we also did well trolling the far north end with cranks or crawlers on boards. Don’t be afraid to look shallow less than 2-3 feet of water.
    You can also troll right down the center of the lake, that can be productive at times too. There is a lot of water to cover out there, look for wind swept points.

One last thing…get a good map, it is very much like the river…things look safe on top but there are very shallow spots and a lot of rocks so be careful while running.
    Have fun and good luck.

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Evening fishing is the best on Big Stone. Jigs on rocky points or bobbers with leeches work well. Expects lots of action in the evening,…keep moving if its not happening.

Day fishing is tough unless the wind is really blowing (which happens alot). Bait walkers with minnows on a long leads worked well last year during the day.

I’ve not had the slime problem but then I usually only fish it the 1st weekend or two. I’ve not had luck with crank baits but am going to try boards this year. The guides have been complaining that the water is too clear in the spring.

Good luck !

shon
    Waconia ,mn

I’am heading there Friday also. But going to Waubay area first for the after noon . Has any one heard anything going out there? Big stone really good with raps if it’s wind on the shorelines .

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ve been told the water is surprsingly clear yet considering how warm the spring has been to this point. Good luck out there everyone!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.