Clam Lake

• bucketmouth1
    Lancaster, WI

taking a family vacation to clam lake up near siren/spooner area next week and was just wondering how the fishing has been….we fish mostly bass and panfish…any technique been working better than others for bass, they hitting topwaters? any info would help and be greatly appreciated..if u dont want to reveal anything on the post you can always PM me thanx a lot

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Can’t help ya Jon but extremely jealous
    Between you and your dad I’m sure you’ll figure it out quickly! Keep pops off the Leinies and get him up at 4:30 am. everyday

GL Jon, play it safe and have a great time

chomps
    Sioux City IA

please let me know how the fishing was up on Clam. As kids we always went to Clam, have not been there for 36 years, my parents rented a cabin for the whole family to re-live old memories the second week of August.

bucketmouth1
    Lancaster, WI

chomps,
    the fishing on clam wasnt very good at all the week we were up there. we fish mostly bass and there was a tournament on clam that weekend we got up there so i think that might have had something to do with it. Panfishing wasnt much better….we did find a few other lakes around that were all pretty good lakes, if clam doesnt pan out for u, check out Wood, little wood, and johnson lake, we also heard viola lake was good for panfish…good luck

chomps
    Sioux City IA

there has been some drought in the area, were the landings fine? Don’t want to drag my rig all the way just to find out that we can’t get her off the trailer.

bear schutts
    Menomonie, Wisconsin

Clam has been really slow this year. We ran a tournament out there about a month ago and there was not much for bass caught. Everything that the guys found was all up the rivers. It needs to turn around….like a lot of the lakes in the area need to this year.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

have heard some talk that the DNR or Lake [censored]’n went through and cut the weeds down, made the lake very murky and dirty, anyone have any idea as to how things are going now, will be heading out on Friday, coming home next Weds. Thanks for anything.

bear schutts
    Menomonie, Wisconsin

Oh yeah the sure did cut the weeds out there. They had the entire lake cut when we had the tournament there. Not a weed to be found on the 11th of July. I guess from what I heard when I was up there is they were going to cut it again if the weeds started coming back up. I think they have a little to much money to spend on that kind of thing. I would spend my time up fishing the rivers for bass if thats what you are after if there are no weeds in the lake then.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

yep, the river (Upper Clam River) is where we are staying, so before I let the dog get his dock jumping practice in I’ll toss out a few lures!

bear schutts
    Menomonie, Wisconsin

sounds like a great plan….let me know how you do up there.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

plain and simple, the fishing is so slow, I’m not even sure if there is many fish there. All together I saw three other fishing boats all week, actually fishing. As my brother and I were drifting along I said that a good indication of how good a lake is for fishing is to count the ice fishing shacks on shore. Guess what, we didn’t see a single one! Most of our fish were caught right in the channels either between the lakes or down the river and fished the edges of the washout holes, the water is very stained so a white bettle spin or white twister tail on a spinner was the main catching lure. My son did catch a nice crappie on a small blue Rapala. The best time to fish was one hour before sunset. The crappie we caught were nice and chunky, the bass were small. We had a nice time, and the house we rented was very cool. My mom liked it so much that we should be back next year, a ton of stuff to do for the kids, and the dogs loved playing in the water.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.