Smallies Near La Crosse?

• lew
    Kasson, MN

My daughter is attending college in La Crosse and I was hoping to search for smallies in that area. Besides the Mississippi, are there any smallie lakes or streams near by? Also, is there anywhere in that area a guy can rent a run about for a day of fishing?

Thanks

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I believe you can rent a boat at schaefers on Brice Prarie (Lake Onalaska) just north of La Crosse. You would be fishing pool 7 which is good smallmouth water. As far as bodies of water with smallies, why leave the river? there are some huge ones in there, and they get stacked in huge numbers, even in spots you can access from shore. If it’s not your cup of tea, you could probably catch a few in the La Crosse River at times, for sure on the Black River further north, and on the root river in Minnesota. There are also some smallmouth in Lake Neshonoc near West Salem but I have heard they aren’t giants.

lew
    Kasson, MN

Thanks Cade, I’ve been fishing the Mississippi before with friends, but never on my own. Just gun shy I guess. I’ll have to look into it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.