Pick Up On Wissota

• Anonymous

I went out after some crappies today and got there about 10:00 with a friend. We didn’t do didly. After about an hour and a half someone drove out to where we were to see how we were doing. He was driving a Chevy Luv or similar small pickup with a topper. After talking to us about 15min he left to watch football. I thought he would go through for sure. Ice was just a popping and was only about 7 inchs thick maybe. He said no problem he’s been out on thinner ice and is usually the first on it. I was glad when he left and got off safe but I hate to see those tire marks out on the lake. You know someone else will come along and see them and try it and won’t be so lucky. It would of been a long way to get that truck out and about 25 feet deep. Some people are just lucky I guess.

Anonymous

Is lucky another word for stupid? I don’t understand the need to “push it”! I suppose, I know some guys that think the ONLY fishing is ice fishing so maybe it’s equal to us traversing flooded rivers……………….still seems lacking in intelligence though……………..God gave ya 2 feet……………sooner or later you’ll have to use ’em, but I wouldn’t want to try them out in 32 degree water!

Anonymous

Yep, stupid happens! Hawger

Anonymous

Hey Hawger did you ever make it out on Bone this year for Muskies??? I’m thinking of heading that way one of these weekends and seeing how the Perch are there. Used to catch some nice ones there and at Big Round. I also thought that guy that drove on Wissota had a screw loose.I was on it Thursday night again and ice is still only about 7 inches so please walk on. Oh I almost forgot two flags no fish. Going to the river (pool four} tomorrow and hope to catch supper.

Anonymous

No I did not make it…. boo!

I got real sick as I remember and was sick for weeks! Must have been going round cause all of us here got it.

I would like for you to post us on how this turns out! I realy like Bone Lake. I heard it was great bass.

Hawger

Anonymous

Well I don’t do much bass fishing but I do like those perch.

It seems to me that the DNR book says there’s no walleye’s in Bone and that is what I usually fish for so when I’m on Bone it is usually ice fishing. Now Big Round which is basically across the street has huge gills,perch,walleye,and plenty of bass and I believe it also has those toothy critters also. Might be wrong on the toothy ones but when I’m up that way on the soft water that’s where I’m at. I’ll post whatever I find out but we need a lot more ice to fish bone as I don’t have a 4 wheeler or sled and it’s a long walk to where I like to perch fish. Heading to pool 4 in 1 hour and hope to get out on the Chippewa tonight. Steve

Anonymous

Big Round DOES have big toothy critters…………..my father saw one there creeping across the surface on a sunny June afternoon once. It came close enough to the boat that he’s positive the fish was readily 4′ or longer………………and my dad hates “fish stories” so I find him to be quite credible. I do know that their numbers aren’t great but sometimes that means the ones you get are larger specimens! Yeee-Hawww! Been told that Big Round is a good walleye lake too if you learn the right spots but I’ve only panfished it.

Anonymous

Hey Stillakid2. I try to get up to Big Round and do some Walleye fishing every year the last time up there I got there early to have a good parking spot the lot isn’t real large and a rig was coming off and I talked to the guys and they each had there limit and I mean it was like 5:30 am. They had went out the night before sometime so that may be the secret to Big Round (night time).I like fishing daylight

but my next trip up there maybe cloudy and raining and maybe even throw in a little wind. Have you been out lately???

Anonymous

Can’t say that I have. I wanted to do some shore fishing by the Kings Power Plant when the weather was so warm but I came down with a virus of some sort and couldn’t stand for any length of time. My boat and motor are presently in need of some maintenence/repair or I’d head for Red Wing. I just can’t get in the swing for any ice this year………….I think it’s all the warm weather and lack of ice. I just want spring to get here and get back in my boat! Are you heading toward Red Wing with an empty chair any time soon? LOL! HELP! I’m having some serious withdrawal and that just makes me spend money! LOOK! A CLEARANCE!!! I just dropped $80.00 last night on stuff Wal-Mart is closing out…………Power Grubs, Rapala’s, Mepps Black Fury’s and Aglia’s, Wally Divers, Yo-Zuri, Jigs, Jigs, and more jigs…………………..and other misc. stuff. This is what happens when I’m not fishing……….I buy stuff and dream about using it! Meanwhile, 50 rods and 7 (FULL) tackle boxes later………………LOL!

Hello……………my name is Ken…………..and I’m a fishaholic!

Hey, lmk when you want to hit Big Round for those gills……………haven’t gotten into decent gills in quite a while.

Sorry about the banter……………..just losin’ my mind watching Sat./Sun. morning TV and reading all the posts on both sites!

Anonymous

Where is this lake at? I looked on the WI DNR lake map page and did not find it.

Anonymous

I believe it is still inside Polk county. It can be found in the TOP 50 WI Muskie Lakes book and one of those map books (by Hot Spots?) for NW WI. There’s 2 of those books so it’d be for the lower region of the NW area. Anyway, it’s in there. I haven’t been there in a long time and I never went there often anyway so I’m foggy on the details.

Anonymous

North of Amery off of highway I. Bone lake is on your left and big Round is to your right as your heading north.If you have a Wisconsin Atlas and Gazetteer its on page 83 very close to the bottom center. The two largest lakes on the lower part of that page.

Anonymous

Hey Stillakid2, I don’t think I’ll get up to Big Round for a while. The ice needs to get thick enough to drive a truck on before I go there. I don’t have a four wheeler or sled and its a long,long walk to those gills. I did get out on the Mississippi Sunday morning.We launched at everets and we used a friends 14 foot flatbottom. The fish must have known I was there because we couldn’t catch a thing. Fished from the dam down to the Vermillion. I guess from reading the other posts I don’t feel too bad I guess it has slowed down over there. The wind was blowing so hard we could of used a drift sock to keep us from drifting to fast upriver. Man there were some big waves out there. What kind of boat do you have? Steve

Anonymous

I have a 1960 Richline, 14′ Aluminum V bottom. I call it my tin cup! The aluminum is foil thin and needs patchwork more often than I care to admit to because it flexes so easily. Looking to upgrade ASAP. I run a little Evinrude “Fisherman” 6hp behind her, carry a transom troller and a bow mount. I put a flat floor up front but need to put a seat on it for the bow mount operation. I’m going to patch her up and use her another year I think, but if I find a way to improve sooner, I’ll probably do it. The motor broke a seal somewhere and dripped oil all out of the lower unit. Once that’s repaired, that’ll be good to go again. As far as a fishing boat is concerned, I can transfer all my goodies over to a new one but I’m really interested in something 16′, flat floor, livewell/storage, 25hp preferred but flexible depending on the boat. I’ve got an ’87 Monte Carlo to get rid of, some jewelry to dump, and some of my old “rock ‘n roll” stuff to dump too. That should be enough to put me in a position to buy a decent used outfit that’ll get me through………………spring’s coming!

I have a pair of 3 wheelers if you want to head to Big Round sometime. One has a rack and tow hitch so if you have a shelter to pull we’d be able to. Only question with those is snow depth. They’re 110’s and don’t go well in anything over 6”.

Anonymous

Hey kid; My first boat was 14′ Richline v-hull. That was in 1975. I started out with a 5 horse monkey wards air cooled and upgraded to a 6 horse Johnson. I didn’t have a trailer the first year so I carried it on top of my 64 Ford econoline. My electric motor was a Pfleuger M3, 3 speeds… hi,lo and off. Does yours have the thread in plug in the bottom of the boat? Boy…..I had’nt thought about that rig for a long time, or some of the stuff I did when I owned it! Thanks for taking me back…..B

Anonymous

And here I thought no one else had even HEARD of a Richline! LOL! I don’t have the thread in plug. Was yours paper thin too? I know it weighs next to nothing and actually handles a lot of abuse for what it is………….I just need to improve and upgrade for my own sense of satisfaction. That day WILL come, hopefully not in the too distant future. For what I needed it to do though, it handled the demand pretty good………………sure beats my inflatable or getting along with a float tube!

Anonymous

I don’t remeber it being paper thin, just shallow and narrow. It was just right for most of the places I fished then, although the 6 hp was plenty slow for covering the river at PdC. It caught alot of fish for dollars invested, and I’ll bet yours does too! Good Luck…..B

Anonymous

She’s not as shallow as a few other crafts I’ve seen out there but it certainly is narrow. A wider beam is a BIG item on my “buying” list……………when that time comes, that is! Adding a flat floor up front really helped with being narrow……………the rear half of the boat is pretty flat bottomed…………..not entirely of course, but fairly.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.