Shell Lake Smallies

• larsonmat
    Mondovi, WI

Anyone have any info on Shell right now? I would think they would have started to spawn already. Just looking for some basic info for the weekend. Might go to Beaver Dam in Cumberland too if anyone has been there too.

Thanks in advance .

scottys
    Eagan, MN

In that part of wisconsin the smallies are up on beds. I was just on Chequamegon Bay over the weekend and they were everywhere. We also fished a little lake up there on Sat. when we were not able to fish the bay and there where just starting to get up on beds. Shell should be in prime time for the weekend.

Just remember to have fun in catching them and put them back on the beds you took them off of.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

In past years, the weather has had a huge effect on how easy it is to fish the lake, being a big bowl and all. High water, wind, and rain has been tough conditions! Of the 5 times I have been out there, weather has been real touogh three of them.

Try the east point north shore which divides the two lakes. Don’t be afraid to cast out to deeper water as well, 8-12 feet as Shell Lake is pretty clear. These smallies spawn deeper than you think.

This is also true on the north shoreline. Fish around the point on the north side with husky jerks (old rapala brown /crawdad color has been great) or other rogues. Pearl has worked too. Keep the bait moving if conditions are favorable. Tubes can be a good idea too, make sure you DRAG them though, don’t be hopping them, those smallies don’t like that in my experience! Again, don’t be afraid to fishing these in 8-12 feet of water.

last spot to check is on the east side, there is a small point somewhere between the north and south shore on the big lake, and there is some good cuts on it, with a crib. Seen some good smallies come out of there as a crib(s) reside in the area…

Also, have put an aquavu down on those cribs and it’s amazing the fish that surround those things. catching them might be another matter but fun to check out!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.