Lake Altoona Late Ice

• fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

The late ice bite is starting to pick up now. We’ve been catching quite a few more northerns and the panfish have preety much stopped biting, except for the perch, which are still biting on rattle reels and tip ups.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

My buddy Jerry in one of the shacks with about a 30” Northern. Nice fish!

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Had our shack pinned past 120 degrees. You could hardly sit in there if it werent for the cold brews.

bigpike

Nice fish, any size to the perch? I will be out towards ice out for those monsters!!!!

gat
    Glopaint,Capital Northwest Wisc.

Nice looking fish! When the temp. rises the beers taste all the better

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

The perch were not very big and they only bit on occasion. When I woke up this morning, I put the rattle reels back down and while I layed back down they started going off again. That was about 10 or so, and they were tipped with small minnows, so those were probobly perch. I didnt get them however.

mikemohr
    eau claire wi.

the bite on minnows has picked up. Jigging is still very slow have to work hard to get them.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Yeah it seems like you guys have been doing well out there Mike.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Anyone going to be on Altoona tonight? I am planning on checking it out about 4:00 or 4:30. Looking for a few perch.
    Steve

krisko
    Durand, WI

I won’t be there tonight but I will be there tomorrow. I managed to make it out there on Monday and did fairly well. I went to the east side of flag point past the Green Bay Packer shack. I caught a couple of huge perch 5 in all. I threw back all of the females. I had a really nice dinner…I caught a couple of them minnows and most on a green and yellow jig tipped with a waxie. I noticed the fish are where the people aren’t. I’ve been going away from shacks and people and setting up by myself. It has worked fairly well. I’ve only been fishing in 6-10′ of water and catching 10″-13″ perch. You have to throw in some small ones but most are nice. I’ve been watching them on my camera you have to use finess to catch them. Look at early morning or late afternoon for the bite.

leinieman

Thanks for the heads up Krisko. How thick was the ice? I imagine it is plenty thick for driving on.
    Steve

mikemohr
    eau claire wi.

it seems that you really have to work for the fish maybe i am just not in the right spot o-well i am going to try it to night hope for better luck

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Krisko, youve probobly seen our shacks. The one in the above photo is the one with two truck toppers as the roof, Mike Mohr owns that one, and the other one is the one next to it with the steel siding, thats ours. We are just before the packer shack and sorta by the Stadlers’ shacks, the ones in the thousands of dollars. They have the American flags on their shacks.

krisko
    Durand, WI

Yeah if I see ya out ther next time I’ll stop by. The ice out there was 17″ thick the other day. I had borrowed my uncle’s auger and the recoil broke so I only got a couple of holes in by hand. I just bought a new power one the other nigh. So I can’t wait to get it out tomorrow.

leinieman

Stayed on the ice untill shortly after 6:00 pm. There were fish on the Vex but they didn’t want to bite. We fished past the GB Shack and we drilled probably 50 holes out there. Gary then moved closer to the real nice shack with the two hundred pound cylinders on it. They even powered up a generator in their pick up about 5:30 so it has electric also. I think Gary said something like it must be warm in there if they come outside in a short sleeve shirt. It was breezy and cool out. Plenty of ice and not much snow so I followed Gary out with my Ford Focus, No problem. The depth really varies out there. We found water from 2 feet to 15 or so. Good luck if you guys get out today or this weekend. I may try Menomin Sunday evening. I’ll post if anything is biting.
    Steve

mikemohr
    eau claire wi.

was out by the big shaks with the flags on them one flag and a run on the rattle real. caught one 20 inch nothern thats it.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Leinie, those shacks have woodstove and thermostatic heat. It easilly surpases 100 Degrees in there. Out more towards the middle you will notice the ‘L shack’. It has a bathroom, shower and a bar. All of these big shacks are powered by generators. Stevie’s, the really big one with the two gas tanks is around $5000.

mikemohr
    eau claire wi.

those are some nice shacks mine just has two truck toppers

jusspik
    Wisconsin, Eau Claire

guys my shack was the best intel someone burnt down. fun times out on the ice right joe

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.