The Ultimate Ice Fishing Tourn

• jld235
    Eau Claire

I haven’t been on the site in quite some time, but I’ve got some great news to report. Two Eau Claire firefighters along with Gilligan’s Bar in Chetek are hosting a Rice Lake Hunters Memorial Fishing Contest. The date is set for Feb 19th from 9am to 3pm. The contest is going to be run from a small villiage of tents in front of Gilligan’s Bar in Chetek. A raffle will be held at 4pm with prizes of a Boat 25HP Motor & Trailer, Mathews Bow, Remington 7400 30-06, Renegade Bow, Marcum VS 560 Fishing Camera, Lazer 8″ Power Auger, and Clam 2000 Fish House. Top 3 fish in categories of Northern, Bass and Panfish will be given trip into the ‘Prize Shack’ which holds dozens of prizes some of which are equal in value to the above mentioned raffle prizes. Food is being sold and provided by the Chetek Firefighters. All benefits are going to the Memorial Fund set up for the hunters. There will also be tons of door prizes with tremendous value given out throughout the day and during the raffle drawing. Entry fee into the contest is $2.00 per person. Raffle tickets are $4 a piece or 6 for $20. Raffle tickets can be purchased at Gilligan’s Bar in Cheteck, from almost any EC Firefighter, or at the contest itself. If there are any questions call Gilligan’s or post them here and I’ll do my best to answer them. Please spread the word to friends adn family. With the above mentioned prizes, you won’t want to miss this opportunity. Thanks.

JD

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

I am not familar with the area however I am very interested in showing my support as well as hopefully taking home one of them great prizes….what lake is this taking place on?

jld235
    Eau Claire

Its actually a chain of lakes. The main lake is called Chetek. There are 4 other lakes that link up with Chetek, but the contest head quarters are going to be located just outside a bar in Downtown Chetek,WI called Gilligan’s. The contest runs from 9am to 3pm with the big drawing at 4pm. The guys running it are literally getting hundreds of $ worth of prizes daily right now. Most of which will probably be given away as door prizes. The big prizes mentioned before will be raffled off and those raffle tickets can be purchased the day of the contest or ahead of time from Gilligans Bar or any Eau Claire Fire Station. It sounds like there going to have a good turn out. Now all we need is good weather. FYI: guys having been posting catches of Crappies from Chetek Lake in the 14inch plus catagory lately. Good luck.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

So from what I understand the panfish and the sunfish are the same category? What size bass usually can be found in these lakes threw the ice? So you can fish any one of these chain lakes..just have to report your fish to the weigh in station.

bigpike

This is one of the best bass fishing lakes in the area, if not this part of the state, nice walleyes also though not as good as it once was, also this chain is a virtual panfish factory and is very popular for family fishing vacations in the summer

jld235
    Eau Claire

I just heard that the guys running contest are still getting more prizes not previously mentioned in every day. The latest is a new vexilar that will be either added to the prize shack or raffled off by itself the day of the contest. If thats the case, your odds would be best to be at the contest to fish since it sounds like they might have big dollar items individually auctioned off. A non-confirmed rumor is that they are getting an autographed guitar from Ted Nuegant. I’ll confirm as I hear more. Anymmore questions ask away.

buschman
    Pool 2

I am going to be up in the inlaws near Rice Lake. Sounds like a few of us are going to make it out. Thanks for the post Sounds like a good one.

Is there a specific area everyone is fishing or is it the whole system?

jld235
    Eau Claire

There are limitations to what lakes are can be fished, but off the top of my head I can’t say for sure. I know they listed 3 different lakes. I’m sure all the rules will be spelled out at registration…which starts at 8am by the way. The guys running the contest are still getting in more prizes daily. I think they are going to hold a few one item raffles during the day for some more expensive prizes they acquired after the printing of the previously mentioned raffle tickets. I know they got a vexilar that they are planning raffling by itself. Latest rumor was they got a autographed guitar from Uncle Teddy Nuegant, but I can’t confirm that…at this point, its just rumor. Either way, if the weather cooperates it should be a good showing with many of opportunities to take away great door prizes. A guy just told as I was typing this that they have two very large wheelbarrels with dozens and dozens liquor bottles donated. The wheelbarrows will be given away as door prizes. If your number is called your get the wheelbarrow and all, just wheel it away…then call in sick to work, cause your going to have to throw a party.

buschman
    Pool 2

How do you get to Gilligans? I have never been there b4 and there are a few of us meeting up there
    We will be heading south on hwy 53

Thanks

jld235
    Eau Claire

Thanks to everyone that spent the day last Sat. fishing in the Chetek tourn. Needless to say, it was a big hit. The organizers from ECFD were hoping for 500 participants, but got over 1500 registered fishermen; with many other just out to enjoy the day. They eclipsed their goal of 25K with a whomping total of just over $45,000. All the money is going directly to the grieving families. The weather helped quite a bit, but the large turn-out in addition to the generosity of WI outdoorsmen made the tourn a success. The winning pike registered in at 38 inches and over 18lbs. Thanks again to everyone.

JD

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.