Jan 18-20 Report

• Matt M
    Blaine, MN

Stayed at Nodaks on these days and had a great time. Ice is a good 20+ inches everywhere we drilled holes. Roger did say that there was a open crack towards the North/middle end so we never ventured that far. There is no snow on the lake so you can travel anywhere without problems.

Fishing was good. We mostly targeted perch and found lots of numbers everywhere we went. We had portables and were scattered in different locations. Moxys was probably the best in 28-30 fow with a fathead, plain hook under a bobber. The east side of Middle Moses also was very good in 30-32 fow with green jigging spoon and fathead. Basically every bait we tried worked well, but green/chartruce sp? did seem to be the best color. The only thing we found was to get the bigger jumbos we needed to use bigger baits. Fatheads got the jumbos to go better than crappie minnows. I think it just made it difficult for the very small perch to grab the bait more than triggering the jumbos. The most important thing we found was to move if a pike came in. Sometimes it only took 100 yards or so. Once the “snot rockets” came in the perch would dissapear. If we could not get them to bite, and they hung around, we were then forced to move. We were able to catch a few of them and it was a blast. As soon as we returned the pike to the water he was gone and the perch were back in full force.

Each night at about 4:30 we moved up into 18-20 fow for the walleye, and caught 6-12 (per house) walleyes nightly until about 6:00. Saturday night being the best with a total of 12 (for 2 of us) and 4 15-16 inchers with the rest being 10-12 inch throw backs. We were fishing the same spots mentioned above, but were in the swallow part of the bar close to the edge.

Overall a good outing and I hope to make it up again.

Matt

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Thanks for the nice report. We have a group headed up this weekend out of Highbanks. Did you do any tipups or just jigging? What were the eyes hitting on?

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

Sgt,

We really never had a chance to set out tip ups. The perch action was very steady. As soon as we dropped the line down they were coming up to get it. We did have to sift thru a lot to get the jumbos, which was fine cause I just enjoy catching fish. The guy I was fishing with and I caught the most walleyes in the group. We went to a little bigger jigging spoon once we moved into shallower water. We used Northland glow spoons and Buckshot rattle spoons. I think they were 1/8 oz. The glow was a little better. All with fatheads.

Hope this helps

Matt

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

You answered my questions. Thank you. The tackle box is ready and I’m getting ansy. The boy just needs to finish his finals this week and we are out the door thursday afternoon.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Matt-

Glad to hear you got into them. We will need to hook up soon. Your the best goalie around.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.