are you driving out yet?

• Anonymous

Are people driving out on the lake yet? Is there much snow on the ice? I was there once several years ago late in the season and could drive pretty much only on plowed roads, but we could drive around the whole lake?

Anonymous

People are driving all over the lake with a solid 16″ where we fished. On Wed there was very little snow and thus not a problem to get around. We went out of Judds.

Anonymous

I would be careful though. Most of the anglers that I have seen are being very stupid on Winnie. The middle of the lake is a mess, meaning the ice is bad, mainly from the wind blown problem we had around freeze up. I was out there the last few weekends, and I am still taking sleds from the accesses. Winnie has pretty good ice on the south end and there are roads to the spots, the North end has a road out to the main basin, were most of the perch fishing is happening, but be cafeful as Winnie seems to take down vehicles every year. There is a good 16 inches of ice. But the overlapping ice can be very week. Even though there are numbers of people driving..please be careful out there as I don’t want to see any death this year out there…the fish aren’t worth it….

Anonymous

Thanks for the info, warnings will be heeded. Would you recomend a bait shop where I would get the best info for the price of a little bait. I am not too familiar with the area or local businesses.

Anonymous

Swing into Bens Bait Located on the West end of Grand Rapids. Its on the right side as you pass the mall and grocery store on HWY 2. Get some golden shiners and chubs. They have a crew which can give you any info that you want most of the time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.