The Northern and Musky action heats up!!!!!!

• Anonymous

Well if your looking for some great action with some nice sized northerns, the tulipee’s have made there August move to the shorelines both East and North to be exact and with that comes numbers of nice northerns and some muskies.
    Once the tulipee’s move to the shorelines a number of all sized pike follow in right behind and the fishing becomes spectacular.

Over the last few days both trolling and casting is working great. Trolling the rattle bait by Rapala or Cisco seems to work great, and as the fish hold in the shallow water a number of large stick bait seem to stir these fish up as well.
    The Muskies are there as well. They are feeding on the tulipee’s as well, and it seems that many different baits attrack them as well, my favorite two lures for these Winnie muskies are without doubt the musky killer lures my Mepps and the Bionic Bucktails by Northland Fishing Tackle. It seems that the Orange two tone colors work great. Hey just another reason to head for Winnie.

PS the walleye and Jumbo perch are still biting, now they are working the shallows and yet the mid-lake structure is producing nice numbers as well. Man a few more weeks and then we will see the 12+ inch crappies as well…….Boy what a great time to head to Winnie.

Anonymous

Hey Sean im going to be up the last weekend in September. Just wondering what to expect as far as the walleye and northern bite will be. Should be a fairly shallow walleye bite? Im also curious about the crappies you’ve mentioned? Where do they start biting?

Anonymous

Northern and walleye action should be fast and furious on the shorelines by then. Look for the North shore from the rock pile to Stony point to hold many numbers of fish. Pending on how the month is, Cutfoot should be active with both walleyes and pike as well. Fireball jigs tipped with a chub or shiner, should be the ticket. The Crappies can be hard to find but a good starting point is MacCavity bay. They are normally holding in the 20-25 foot area and the best combination for them is staying vertical with a 1/16 oz. northland firball jig tipped with a medium to large crappie minnow. If the weather continues to stay like it is, it should be a fantastic fall bite. Let me know if you have more questions. Good Luck….

Anonymous

Looking for some advice for the end of these week and the weekend. Looking for help with northerns and walleyes. What presentations work best? Thanks

Anonymous

The Northerns seem to be spread out along the shorelines. The West shore from Sugar point upto stoney point and down the northshore to the Rock pile, is a great spot to start. The last few days we have seen some nice pike out in the middle chasing the jumbo or magnum perch.

The walleyes are going out in the nid-lake structure yet we are finding some along the shorelines with the jig and minnow combination. The mid-lake fish seem to want something different every hour. The jigs and minnows are working yet, they still seem to want rigs with leeches and crawlers. Sugar bar and Long Bar are holding good numbers, along with a number of the small center and North Bars. A heads up with the leeches, the bait shops around here have very few if any jumbo leeches, so if you have some where your at, you probably want to bring them with you.

Jumbo/magnum Perch are really going crazy as well. Look for small humps in the lake and you will find these 10-14″ perch literally by the thousands, great action bite.

Hey good luck, feel free to give me a call or email….Sean

Anonymous

Thanks Sean.

Will stop and get leeches close to home before the trip if we decide to search for walleyes. More interested n the pike action.

When you mentioned pike in the middle of the lake are you talikg depths deeper than 20′. Are these pike bigger than your shoreline pike? How should I attack these?

Anonymous

The pike are kind of spread out, but yesterday, we got some nice pike while trolling. Trolling rattle baits in 8-10 feet of water seemd to be working pretty good. I would say try trolling larger deep water bait out aroung the main bars and you will see some action and there seems to be some pretty good ones hanging around the mid-lake bars which top out around 20 feet.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.