Wis. anglers busted on Lake Winnibigoshish

• jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

From today’s KARE11 website:

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1017084/396/Wis-anglers-busted-on-Lake-Winnibigoshish

BENA, Minn. – A routine patrol by three Minnesota Department of Natural Resources conservation officers netted three Wisconsin men for exceeding perch limits.

The fines, restitution and court costs will reach nearly $3,300.

The three men, a father and two sons, were staying at a local resort. When the count was completed, the family had 203 yellow perch which is 83 more than the legal limit, DNR officials said.

The men’s nonresident fishing licenses were seized. The fish were collected and photographed as evidence, and citations have been mailed to each individual.

(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

super_do
    St Michael, MN

They should have made them clean them, then seized them.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Updated story from the Mn DNR website:

Routine patrol on Lake Winnibigoshish nets Wisconsin anglers
    (Released March 18, 2013)

A routine patrol by three conservation officers (CO) with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources netted three Wisconsin men nearly $3,300 in fines, restitution, and court costs for an overlimit of perch.

CO’s Luke Belgard, Mike Fairbanks, and Jayson Hansen were working ice anglers on Lake Winnibigoshish on March 4 when Belgard checked the fishing license of David L. Gauthier, 41, of Keewaunee, Wis., who said he had caught his limit of perch. The daily legal limit is 20 perch with 40 in possession.

“He had a few smaller perch in a pail that were still alive and said he was now trying to catch some larger ones and he would let the smaller ones go,” Belgard said. “I advised Mr. Gauthier that he wasn’t allowed to do that.” Culling fish is illegal.

Gauthier said he had been coming to Lake Winnie for many years.

Gauthier then tried to take one of the live fish and put it back down the hole, but was instructed to leave the fish on the ice and the few in the pail where they were.

Gauthier’s father, Wayne E. Gauthier, 61, and brother, Anthony A. Gauthier 27, both of Keewaunee, Wis., were fishing nearby when approached by CO Fairbanks.

The three men were staying at a local resort when David Gauthier said there were perch in a bin outside their cabin. When the count was completed, the Gauthier’s possessed 203 yellow perch or 83 more than the legal limit.

David Gauthier was charged with having 29 more perch than the legal limit. He faces fine, restitution and court fees totaling $1,130. Wayne Gauthier and Anthony Gauthier were each charged with having 27 more perch than the legal limit. They face fines, restitution and court fees of $1,080 each.

The Gauthier’s nonresident fishing licenses were seized, the fish were collected and photographed as evidence, and the citations mailed to each individual.

Anyone witnessing a fish or wildlife violation should contact the nearest conservation officer, law enforcement agency or the 24 hour toll-free Turn In Poachers (TIP) hotline at 800-652-9093. Cell phone users can dial #TIP.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Almost $40 a piece for the extra 83.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

Quote:

They should have made them clean them, then seized them.

X2

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Quote:

From today’s KARE11 website:

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1017084/396/Wis-anglers-busted-on-Lake-Winnibigoshish

BENA, Minn. – A routine patrol by three Minnesota Department of Natural Resources conservation officers netted three Wisconsin men for exceeding perch limits.

The fines, restitution and court costs will reach nearly $3,300.

The three men, a father and two sons, were staying at a local resort. When the count was completed, the family had 203 yellow perch which is 83 more than the legal limit, DNR officials said.

The men’s nonresident fishing licenses were seized. The fish were collected and photographed as evidence, and citations have been mailed to each individual.

(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

They should impose much heavier fines on them. No fishing for 10 or 20 years sounds good to me and fines of around $10,000. That would make folks think twice before doing something like this

dld24

I would never want to clean that many fish, 10 crappies is enough for me lol….Some people I don’t understand

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

X2 100% agree with that need stiffer fines both in MN and WI. Just think of all the times that this happens and they are not cought. Stiffer fines and they would not even dare to try it. I know of a case here in WI this last fall fisherman had 200 fish over his possesion limit not fillets but fish and 8 un tagged turkeys in his freezer and I heard they fined him $1600 for the turkeys and $1000 for the fish and revoked his license for 3 yrs. Don’t make sense!

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

I think we need higher fines and stiffer penalties for game and fish violations but I don’t think it will stop the people that go and break the law intentionly. They all think they won’t get caught because they have done it so many times and didn’t get caught that they will just keep doing it. Kinda like the guy that has 5/6 OMVI’s. Do you think that they only broke the law the times that they got caught? Nope higher fines will help hire more CO’s and that will help because they are spread so thin.Just my opnion.

KJK
    Cottage Grove

Definitely higher fines and stiffer penalties! There needs to be an “Aggravated” or “Gross Intentional” level attached when these guys are busted soo far over the limit. The fine per fish needs to tripple or more when you are that far over the limit.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Fines should double for every fish! $40 for the first, $80 for the second, $160 for the third, and so on then add them all up!

wally1992
    Evansville MN

Do the siezed fish get used or do they toss them?

I still know people that keep everything they catch. I wonder if people like this fish often or if it is there twice a year ritual..

My Dad has a hard time understanding why I Throw fish back.
    Not condoning the Overlimit, but my guess is the penalty as is will suffice to remind them in the future.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

They should impose much heavier fines on them. No fishing for 10 or 20 years sounds good to me and fines of around $10,000. That would make folks think twice before doing something like this

Agreed. At the very least revoke all privledges in Minnesota for these clowns. Makes you wonder how often this happens and what impact it has our our lakes.

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

All I have to say is the nerve of some people. I would think that 40 perch per person to take home after a trip is enough fish to last a little while. Why would you want to take that many to begin with. 1 limit of sunfish for me and my daughter is enough for 3 meals and I rarely ever take home my limit, not that I couldn’t but I would rather eat fresh fish versus frozen fish.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

nice to see the fish are still biting!
    On a side note, those DNR guys are the same ones we spoke to going out on Leech by the dam, nice guys. Now the guy that came in from duck hunting was sure getting the business!

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

If you double a $40 fine and carry it to the 83rd place,
    no need to add them up–might balance the federal debt
    permanently. My spreadsheet called the 83rd fish worth $193 followed by 24 zeros!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.