South shore rainy weekend

• salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

So, any other brave souls planning on venturing out in the predicted rain this weekend? The past few weekends have been phenomenal for us, both in the fishing and the conversations with other fishermen, so I’m not one to let a little precipitation put a damper on things. Now if only the wind would participate a little bit better. Tight lines

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I just returned from 10 windy days in Two Harbors. I fished the rain in rain gear. All I needed was a wind break large enough to allow the lake to have settled down some.

I am still trying to figure out how those jackasses in the weather department of the tv stations there predicted southerly winds every day only to have Mother Nature hand us winds from the East and NE half of the days. Boy, when the wind went to the south it sure came along with a vengence.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

Those north wind rollers can be brutal, I just hope the wind predictions for this weekend are incorrect.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Snow up there maybe too.

My fishing fell in the toilet bowl so I focused on the colors and wildlife in the cabin yard. Man, we sure saw a lot of fox this year on this trip.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

We haven’t seen any fox yet, but must of came across 100 turkeys easily. Also got to watch a coyote pack cross the road with the pups leaping across instead of running. Still no bear sightings but with the season going that’s understandable.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

We’d normally have tons of deer and a couple bear wander into the cabin yard during this annual trip, but the bear didn’t show, not even a sign that any were around. The deer were scattered all over. Five of the ten nights we had up to eight deer in the yard but the other five nights they didn’t show. Driving to town to fish was a joke trying to dodge the deer on and along the roadway. I did note that Two Harbor’s intra-city bowhunt hasn’t been too fruitfull. In the park land around the lighthouse and breakwater parking area I saw eight does/fawns and two nice bucks just about every day.

M. Leslie
    Twin Cities

Won’t make it up there this weekend, but have M-We off next week so thinking about heading up to Washburn or S Shore out of Loon’s for one last hurrah before putting the boat to bed for the winter. Let us know how you fare if the weather cooperates enough for you to make it out!

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

Lucky, Monday-Wednesday seems to have the best weather predicted. If the rain and wind stays like it has been today here in the twin cities I’ll be up painting the shores and river mouths silver. The rain last Saturday didnt seem to slow them down at all.

biff

I’m just hoping it doesn’t get muddy and send a bunch of the fish way up into the restricted area.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

same here, I know some rivers, but not enough to be able to chase the runners.

biff

Looks like a good day to do some surf fishing…more like surfing. That wind is brutal.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

youre telling me! I ran into a couple of brave older guys standing out on a pier casting as 8 foot rollers came in crashing to the pier and up over there heads. all my spots were beyond flooded, which resulted in spot hopping trying new areas with very minimal success.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

Of course, now that I’m back at work the wind shifts south. Is it Friday yet might have to leave the job site a little early this week.

phoyem
    Minneapolis

Heading up to Ashland / Washburn area hoping for some trout / salmon this weekend. Just curious if fish are still out in the bay as opposed to all up in the streams?

I’ll mainly be fishing around the Souix / Onion and lighthouse. Also, there currently is only one other person fishing with me, so if anybody is interested I’d be happy to take 1-2 more people in my boat.

Pete Hoyem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.