First timer

• Angler II

Well after watching many videos and doing a bit of research I have decided to take the plunge and try fishing Lake Superior. I have a few quick questions if someone would be kind enough to answer…I don’t have down riggers on my boat and was hoping to get by with leadcore and snap wieghts or run dipsys. Will that suffice for this time of year or do I need to get deeper? I plan on heading out of McQuades and venturing north targeting warmer water (where I can find it) with a variety of spoons I have accumulated over the years. I really don’t want to hire a charter as I like the challenge of figuring this stuff out on my own(with a little help of course). Thanks!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

First of all, I personally only runs dipsys and leadcore. About 90% of my fish cone on dipsys. Possibly because its because they’re the first lures to pass by the fish.

Second of all, you can probably get everything you’ll need including where to fish from the Marine General in Duluth. They’ll have the hot spoons and colors you’ll want. They’ll also have all the terminal tackle you’ll need as well. That place has everything.

If it were me, I’d go up the shore one more landing farther and go out of Knife River or better yet, Two Harbors. You’ll find salmon and trout close to shore in those areas.

I struggled a little last week finding a lot of fish but if you fish the top 20-60 feet, you should catch fish.

Keep your boat speed at 2.2-2.4.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.