Salmon o rama in Silver bay

• mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Just got back from a vacation with the family to Grand Marais.

Got a reply to my open seat post and met up with Tom Friday 6am at SB.

Tom and I fished till noon to get our 5 kings/5 coho limit with a 4# laker for the smoker too. Went 11 for 16.

We ran #1 dipsies on 3, 60′ out with blue FF and riggers with orange/char and blue spoons 35′ down. Found 47 degree water right out of the harbor and dropped lines there. Fished 65-300′ down to Palisade head finding schools here and there. When we got hit twice in a short distance we turned back and would get a few more.

Returned solo on Sunday found 48-52 degree water. Fished till 1130, had trouble getting a color pattern down with only 2 lines, blue is what I am going to say.

Many more boats on sunday than Friday and I tried to stay out on my own a bit. Slower action in shallow (70′). My 4 lakers, king and coho came in 200-400′ in the upper 35′. Went 6 for 8.

Good salmon action right now from 2 harbors through Silver bay. Even some kings coming to the net in GM.

If you think you need a huge boat to fish this you are wrong my friend. All my fish came within 1 mi of shore. Granted it can be rough but picking your days is key. Keep in ming there is generally a west wind so even breezy days can be pleasant on the MN shore.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

WOW
    Nice trip,
    Congrats,
    Jack

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Nice report. I’ll be heading up again in 2 weeks to the NS. Looks like the salmon are finally moving north. I bet they won’t go too far this year with the cool water.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Nice work Mark and great pic! Makin’ it look easy. Thanks too for the detailed info on the bite. Those headed in that direction are sure to thank you.

Joel

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Nice! I was up there watching the boats wishing I was out there but Sunday was a ride on Thomas in Duluth and a family vacation with no fishing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.