I’m going to do it

• the_grump
    Le Center

My cabin plans for the first week in Aug have been cancelled, so I have a week of nothing to do.
    After watching some of the videos and reading the reports, I’m going to do it, hit the north shore for some trout and salmon trolling.
    I have leadcore rods and two downriggers, I’m going to pick up a couple of planer boards.
    My question is what would you consider to be crucial to have for lures, or tackle for my first trip.
    Plans are to fish somewhere between Mcquades and Two Harbors. First morning,with a max of six lines, what would you have tied on and ready, and what water would you look for? (temp breaks, depth, water clarity)
    Thank in advance for all the help

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Great choice!!

First of all, if you want to chase salmon, I would head farther up the shore, but if Lake Trout are your primary target MCQuade would be a good choice. Let me know what you want to focus on and then we can go over presentations and everything else!

the_grump
    Le Center

For the first trip all I am looking for is a good experience, what type of fish we catch is not very important. Would be more than happy if we caught a couple of something, and learned a little bit.

joemama
    North St Paul

sweet.. i have been thinking the same let us know how you do..you missed 1 question…speed ?? i,m looking for some torpedo weights and plan on giving it a try

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Then i would head out of McQuade and plan on trolling NE up the shore a little ways to stony point. Downriggers are going to be your main producers at this point in the summer around the McQuade area.

As far as rods, I would run 4 on your downriggers and the other 2 on boards utilizing yur leadcore and possibly some additional snapweights. I can keep you updated on conditions, but initially plan on running your two downriggers close to bottom in 150 feet of water. Have a white/silver spoon on one and possibly a flasher and fly or spin dr on the other as this can be very hot come august!

Run a stacker on the riggers possibly 15 feet above you bottom line. Run 2 spoons on these lines as if you have too much other hardware you will get bad tangles.
    On the boards your going to want them to get down 35 to 50 feet so I would run a Rapala TDD11 in silver or purpledescent.

Keep your trolling speeds around 2.0 since you will mainly be catching lake trout.

Get yourself 3/4 of a mile or more off shore and troll away. Its too early to tell ya what the water will be like or temps so PM me before you head out and I can fill ya in on what its like.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Quote:

sweet.. i have been thinking the same let us know how you do..you missed 1 question…speed ?? i,m looking for some torpedo weights and plan on giving it a try

Gottcha covered! And for salmon I like 2.5.

the_grump
    Le Center

Now that’s what I call service! I can hardly wait to get started. Thanks again

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

If your interested I have a 22′ boat fully rigged up, and rods, and tackle. Let me know if you want to hop a ride. I have a lot of time to go if we can work something out

the_grump
    Le Center

Quote:

If your interested I have a 22′ boat fully rigged up, and rods, and tackle. Let me know if you want to hop a ride. I have a lot of time to go if we can work something out

Thats a great offer but part of the trip for me is the challenge of getting out there on my own, now on the other hand if all I get is a tangled up mess and no fish, I would surly take you up on that offer.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

boy, i wouldn’t advise you to ignore such an offer. it gets REAL complex running multiple lines. You’ve got a chance to go along with someone and WATCH how they have their boat set up, how they handle the lines, the boat AND a fish all at the same time. This is an incredibly generous offer. ANYTIME another captain agreed to trade trips with me, I JUMPED on it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.