North Shore Pinks?

• outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Anyone seeing them in the rivers yet?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Split Rock should have some running by now. Humpies are an early fish.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

They should be gong on most rivers up there right now. Especially after they finally got some rain. The rivers were very low a few weeks ago.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I was hoping someone would know for sure. It is a long drive for me on a small chance. 4 Years ago I went up and fished all day without a bite and few fish I saw. Like a switch I hooked up with a King and then limited out on Pinks in less than an hour. After talking to some people we were pretty much the first ones to catch any that year. So much is timing then the small details seal the deal.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

Im leaving for the south shore now, can give a report of how it was on our side, might helpwith your decision on trying the north side.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

they should be running, saw em all over on the south shore which surprised me as I was only expecting coho, which still arent in. Did see pinks though spawning, prespawn staging, and which is weird but a few swimming back out of the river. Some spawners were two miles up from the lake, others barely thirty feet. I hope pinks taste good.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Thanks.

Comes down to it I am too tired to drive that much tomorrow morn but I do know they are in and catchable right now. I finally got word from someone I know up there.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

yeah theyre everywhere, kinda hard to miss em

finman

What do you guys normally use for bait or lures to catch pinks when they are in the rivers?

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

id say typical small stream trout spinners, it seemed like my #3 mepps was too big for them. spawn bags prolly wouldnt hurt either.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

What do you guys normally use for bait or lures to catch pinks when they are in the rivers?

Hot pink or hot orange yarn flies are common baits. I’ve taken pinks in the Splitrock river fishing yarn behind a small splitshot just large enough to take the yarn down yet still allow it to work in the current.

Pinks can be different. Lots of the fish won’t hit anything, even the good old worm, once they have gone more than a hundred feet into the river so fishing where the lake and river meet makes your chances of success a bit higher.

I was just up there and didn’t see a pink in any river that we stopped at including the Splitrock. Pinks are an early fall spawner and really they aren’t worth much on the table when they are on the shore. If taken off the lake they are said to be so-so, but not much is said about the pinks during the summer, probably because they are not too accessible then.

A waxie under a float on a looper bug will take pinks too, but the yarn has always done more for me. And remember, if you are in or within 100 feet of any river on the shore all hooks must be single hooks even on lures and spinners.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I also use the yarn fly. I tie them right at the river and adjust until I get them to bite. 1st fish last time was 8 hours into fishing and I limited out in 15 minutes. I smoked mine and my family ate them up fast. Time is just not on my side to fish much this year.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

How long does this bite last? I seen this a few weeks ago, what might a guy find tomorrow? O4L- You can sleep while I drive

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Pinks [humpies] are the earliest of the fall spawning fish to show in the rivers. They can begin to show up in late August I’ve been told, but they will not be around now. Loopers, steelhead and kings can be found along the shore now and lakers will be common but their season is closed and all steelhead need to be returned to the water.

I will suggest that anyone intending to fish the shore get a fish ID pamphlet and READ IT thoroughly so you know what you are about to slip on a stringer. Fines are steep on mid-identified fish.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Quote:

Pinks [humpies] are the earliest of the fall spawning fish to show in the rivers. They can begin to show up in late August I’ve been told, but they will not be around now. Loopers, steelhead and kings can be found along the shore now and lakers will be common but their season is closed and all steelhead need to be returned to the water.

I will suggest that anyone intending to fish the shore get a fish ID pamphlet and READ IT thoroughly so you know what you are about to slip on a stringer. Fines are steep on mid-identified fish.

Thanks Tom for the reply and duly noted on the stringer pamphet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.