IceFishing Beaver,St.Olaf Lakes near New Richland?

• davebmork
    Hayfield Mn

Anyone know anything about these lakes. St.Olaf has a special northern pike regulation are there good sized pike there? Is it worth a trip over there?

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

I know I fished them “back in the day” (I am from NR)

I know this. I have never had a bite during one of their fishing contests.

I also know there are some nice ‘eyes, jacks, and bass in that lake. My brother pulled out a 3# largemouth through the ice about 20 years ago

VikeFan

St. Olaf and Beaver are about the closest natural lakes to where I grew up, so I hit them once in a while when I am back in Minnesota and the Mississippi backwaters aren’t iced over.

I made a road trip over to St. Olaf last January. I caught a bunch of small sunnies and crappies. That is typical of the panfishing for both lakes.

The DNR stopped stocking walleye in St. Olaf some years ago, but I have heard there are still a few large ones in there. Beaver has a decent population of walleye. The Northern fishing on St. Olaf is OK, based on my limited experience with it.

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

It is a good all around lake for pike,bass and panfish once you get a feel for the place.Panfish generally are too small to keep but during the spawn it can be awesome sight fishing.The pike are really making a comeback but the majority are an inch or two under the slot,cannot beat the action though when the bite is on.Bass seem to average 16″ to 19″ but they will keep you interested wnen they are hungry.All around good lake to spend some time with the kids where they can catch alot of fish and have alot of fun.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.