Advice on Foster Arrends?

• Anonymous

I’ve never fished it before, thinking about hitting it this week, catching trout through the ice just sounds like way too much fun to pass up. Any body have any advice for my first try there? How big do the trout run?

flipenrip
    Austin, Mn.

It`s been years since the last time I was on the pit in the winter. When I was there I drilled one hole right next to the other and chopped out the center creating an 8 by 16in viewing hole. Dark house and sight fish. Small spoons and waxies, or small jigs will catch fish. It was a blast watching the trout come in and swipe at the bait. The fish I caught that day were around 14in. Lookout for the rats! Heard lots of stories, but untill that day, never believed them. Had a muskrat pop up in the hole for some air. Took a look at two of the wierdiest looking fellas and down he went. That was in a shappel two man. One of the first they made. Can you imagine two guy`s over 6’5 standing straight up when that little bugger came in. It must of looked like camel humps. To funny. Gook luck! Flip

Anonymous

So funny… That would freak me out!
    Hoggie

Anonymous

HAHA saturday had a rat come up on me three times while ice fishing near my home in Ostrander bout crapped my pants everytime too..lol…i thought it was a damn carp comin up the first time..lol..but ya foster has been on and off BIG TIME thois year from what i have seen but the crappie action for me has been GREAT especially up at south center near Center City where my grandma lives..but dont over look farm ponds in the SE i have caught 4 crappies 14 inches or better and 5 pike over 8 pounds so rig up and hit them hard…..good luck everyone and be careful the ice is up and down bad this year

Anonymous

I haven’t fished it for along time but use to fish the southwest corner. Fish one rod close to the bottom and one rod just under the ice as alot of times they are just under the ice as thats where the food can be in the winter. There are both smaller and larger trout in there. My son Nate has one on the wall that he caught a few years ago from there. Stop by at Hooked On Fishing Bait and Tackle and when you get your bait ask Mike what he has been hearing for where the fish are. Let us know how you do. Thanks, Bill

Anonymous

i’ve been out quit a bit this year. the fishing is usually pretty consistent unless you’re there right after they stock it. it takes luck to do that though. i’ve tryed calling dnr but they say that they never no.

i most always fish it the last couple hours of the day. this seems to be the best time. you will usually get two or three bites a night and catch one or two of them. they are all dandys though. i’ve never caught one under 13″ and i’ve seen some absolute hogs get pulled out.

use minnows or powwer bait a few feet off the bottom, and make sure you’re not right on top of a weed bed. the only thing with minnows is that the little crappies play with them a lot. none of them are very big though (5-6″).

you’ll see where eveyone is fishing but any where right around the shore will work. good luck and have fun.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.