Morehouse dam Owatonna, Minnesota

• Anonymous

What do you think about the dam that they decided to move?

Anonymous

Makes me so mad I could eat ice cream ! I figure you are fighting a a loosing battle…. if park & rec. is not behind you on any issue.
    It saw was a done deal before it even went to a vote.
    I would have liked to have it stay… and not fix it… and blow the middle out of the dam… just let it fail.

Would have looked nice to still see it… could have dumped rock at the bottom of the flow and made a cascade & terrace for the fish.
    Fish migration? That did not happen for last 80 years anyway. No biggie. D&R could have continued stocking if it was needed. Or, because the dam went out ar Darts Park… it would not have been needed for Northern’s to migrate & spawn anyway.
    My 2 cents.
    “Hoggie”

Anonymous

The line of rationale that was pitched to people doesn’t get me to jump for joy! Some posed the issue that removing the dam would increase the ability of the pike to migrate upstream to spawn. Without the scour hole below the dam there is not any significant depth for fish to winter in. Removing the dam is going to drop the water level to the 1 to 2 foot level and how many miles will a pike swim in one foot of water to spawn in bad habitat. The DNR suggested stocking smallmouth bass….which would be great to have, but I don’t think they’ll have the proper substrates, water movement, and forage to inhabit the straight river. Just my 2 cents!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.