Walleyes on Ice!

• Anonymous

I made it out today (Mon.). I was limited to where I could fish. Many lakes still have open water this evening. I fished on a very small lake that had 3-4 inches of ice. Iced a fair number of ‘eyes on tip-ups and a few jigging. I sought out to catch small perch as a clue to where walleyes would be as the small local lakes don’t give much help in the way of structure. Once the perch were found it was a matter of waiting till twighlight and like clock work the walleyes came in. Nothing big….mostly local specials 10-13 inchers, but flags, flags, and more flags for about a half hour. Kept me warm anyway.

I didn’t bring an auger with…but I have a good spud bar which is essential along with ice picks and a life vest and as much as anything another angler and a cell phone along. A lot of bad can come of early ice as well as good….so cover your bases and be as safe as possible. Good Fishing.

Anonymous

2 Cool TGIF, thanks for the report.
    I have heard that Walleyes are being taken on Madison Lake in good numbers. Take extra care!
    Dave Hoggard

Anonymous

Hawger,

Maybe since you heard they were biting on MAdison, maybe you also heard how much ice Madison has???

Thanks a ton!!! Any more info on that bite? Depths, techniques and presentations?

Jim W

Anonymous

I’ll see if I can get the poop! Be right back… Dave

Anonymous

Jim,

3 inches, maybe 4. It just COMPLETELY froze over on tuesday. That’s 2 days ago. I have heard now that the water patrol rescue has been out on 2 calls this week. Be careful.

Anonymous

TGIF, Thanks!!! I tried calling the sports store in MAdtown and their answring machine claimed they would be starting regulars up again
    on Dec. 1st. I called yesterday, you do the math!lol

Well If I do hit MAdison it would probably be near MIller’s point. My luck that was the last place to freeze
    on the lake eh?

Jim W

Anonymous

Jim W.

Can you give a report on ice conditions on Madison when you return. I was going there Fri., but do to the wind I’m going to hit a more wind sheltered lake this afternoon.

P.S. I would be a little leary about getting bait at Lake Sports in Madison Lake. For one it’s a guess if their open and two if they are open do they have bait?? I talked to 2 different guys who couldn’t get bait at either Madison Lake nor Elysian pit stop. They went to Sid’s on Hwy. 13 N. in Waterville. If you stop there….look at the ivan’s!

Good luck, stay dry, have fun!

TGIF

Anonymous

TGIF
    Well, if I can’t find some accurate ice info soon, I might not be making the 2 hour drive over. I had a lot of fun learning that
    lake last year. Learning remains, but saftey takes precedence!
    I will report if I go!

Thanks for your help!!!
    Jim W

Anonymous

Madison had a couple guys and portables in the narrows on Saturday and again this morning (Sun). Can’t relay any ice thicknesses yet… Be cautious

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.