Ice bite predictions

• Anonymous

Is anyone willing to put out there prediction on the up-coming ice bite for the So. MN area? Here’s my honest and somewhat gloomy view……..

After fishing these lakes for some time I would wish we could go back to the winters of 1988-1991. Back when the area lakes were superb and when 8-9+ lb walleyes were a legitimate reality. Perch in the 10″ to 12+” class were there and abundant enough to justify pursuing them. Crappies and Bluegills were abundant and of good size. But most of all…..you could take ice trips to some of the best fisheries in the state and yet bare to return and fish the local lakes. Now days….you get back and most days you wish you were somewhere else or didn’t have to come back.

Unfortunately when good fishing occurs on an area lake some folks cash in on it too heavily. That trend in the late 80’s and early 90’s pounded the local fisheries and they haven’t really gotten back to those levels of quality and will never achieve it again. How can it when so many anglers don’t even flinch at throwing everything over 10″ into the bucket…until it’s full and return with another bucket to fill?

Sure there’s some walleyes, crappies, bluegills, pike, perch, bass, etc in area lakes. But if you want quality….get out a map and fish another area of the state this year. Your likely to catch many fish in the area lakes, but how many 10’12” walleyes can you hook before you say enough and—THOSE ARE NOT EATERS–.
    Let them grow….hopefully they can grow into something you would be proud of catching….and…..RELEASING! You don’t have to kill every fish you catch. It is alright to release them….it is alright to even release them all. It is fun to catch fish….but it is more fun to catch big fish.

Good luck this ice season….somewhere else!

I hope my prediction is wrong, but right now…I think it’s the reality.

Anonymous

You may be right! Thanks for sharing….
    I just hope we get some good thick ice before we get a ton of snow…or we’ll have a crap ice year. Cross your fingers.
    Hawger

Anonymous

I couldn’t get a new post on so I’ll add on to this….The ice in Rice Co. was 2 to 2 1/2 inches this morning. These are areas that are the earliest to freeze up in the area. The wind is forecasted for 20+ mph on friday….that is windy on a bucket and a heck of a ride in a portable on glaze ice.

Has anyone checked the ice on Lake Elysian or other lakes near waterville, mn?? If so, how was the ice?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.