Tetonka Today

• Anonymous

I finally got a chance to get back on a lake to fish! Went to Tetonka for the afternoon and my lovely lady even decided to share a boat ride as long as she was allowed to fish with a bobber (ack) and live bait.

Things still aren’t hopping, although we did watch Hawger pull in a lot of good fish about 20 feet away. They seemed to be right under his boat. Rule here, fish under Hawger’s boat, no matter where he is. Either that or fish out of his livewell.
    We both tried bobbers in about 12 feet of water. Marked a few fish deep, where they seemed to want to be all day. Tetonka is getting its algae bloom and we did have the best luck fishing at the break where the Cannon River empties into the lake and brings some fresh, clear water.

The bite was pretty slow all afternoon in the sun, but picked up in the afternoon a bit. I, the Reigning King of Sheephead, managed to pull some lunker plank fish out of the lake, which was pretty exciting.

We tried a few different spots and always found the best bites on half worms and 1/8th ounce gold jigs. They had to lay right on the bottom in order to draw any attention. If we fished straight down, the jigs drew the most bites when they were absolutely still. Seems that none of the fish wanted anything that moved.

Towards late afternoon and early evening, we saw a bit more action. The walleyes ranged in size from something that belonged in the baitwell, to something that might fit in the palm of my hand. Not much size at all, but about 16 of them would have made 1 legal fish.

I did manage one small walleye on a gold jig head and neon green ringworm. Pretty exciting catch for the day.

Evening towards sunset brought an even better bite. We started seeing more sunfish, including some good sized ones in the half to 3/4 pound range. Unfortunately a storm started to move in just as things were getting good.

Once again, I have to pat myself on the back for having decided to include rain gear in the front boat locker. My lady and I were the only two on the lake that were able to stay dry while the rain came dumping down on us. The deluge was amazing, too! We must have had 2-3 inches of rain just in the time that it took us to load the boat and get down the road. I watched the lake rise as we trailered the boat. Yet another predictable day in Minnesota.

Anonymous

Thanks for the report Mike. Sounds like you guys and gal had fun. Anyone else have a fun day on a lake to share? Feel free to make a post on this forum or any of the other forums. Thanks, Bill

Anonymous

Nothing magic about it… I just took a big marker pen and wrote under the hull… FREE LUNCH !
    I caught the largest Sunfish I ever took from Tetonka and my daughter took a five lb. Northern. Several eater Walleyes came from the area where the river comes in. Right on the drop…. good spot early in the morning. Lots of Sunnies! Gold was hot for me.
    Hawger

Anonymous

I do think that much of my success with jigs is in using gold, Mike. This just works!
    Thanks for the photos. Hawger

Anonymous

Man you must be loaded !!!!! Pure Gold jigs ! WOW!!! How come you don’t let me use any of them babies ? HE HE HE HAW !!!!!!

Guess Who ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.