Walleyes… all you want!

• Anonymous

Walleyes one after another… yes, all you want, and fast action. Trouble is you will not want too many of these… they are mostly all about the size if my foot! All you need do is work the weeds edge in front of The Channels” in any time of the daylight hours and keep your jig/crawler clost to the bottom. In fact if you can get real tight to the bottom, or… you can just let it set and they’ll pick it up. This is lots of fun for the youngsters and can give anybody bragging rights on numbers of walleyes… I caught 17 in less than an hour! Course, you’ll have to leave out the part that they were real small.
    Working over the tops at the same weed-edge will produce a few nice crappies. You’ll have to hit them in late afternoon though (or early morning) when they come in from suspending in the 24 foot drop… which is just outside The Channels area. Any time after 5:00pm-ish will work. And they’ll want the small 1/32 oz heads and crappie minnows. Right before dark, bout 8:00pm, you’ll hit walleyes doing he same thing. Fishing will be hot and you’ll have the occasional striper also… till dark-thirty. Then she is done (unless you have a big moon overhead). Go get those walleyes … I hear them a callin you!
    Hawger

Anonymous

Sorry to look stupid, but what lake were you fishing on???

Anonymous

Sorry… this is the post from my Lake Tetonka fishing report. Tetonka is in Waterville, MN. I mostly live there in the summer.
    Hawger

Anonymous

Hawger,
    I appreciate the Tetonka reports, especially since you know the lake so well. However, I am looking for suggestions here.
    If you were to choose outside of Tetonka where to target some walleye, this time of year, what lakes would you recommend?

I am referring to Southern Minnesota. I have an old buddy coming down wanting in on some fishing. Ihave fished quite a few lakes
    in the fairbault/waterville area with litte walleye success. I have caught them, but usually the “size of my foot” variety.

I’m all ears! I was thinking about Madison.

Thanks Jim W

Anonymous

Madison is a good one… trollong shallow cranks in the East bay is a good thought…. over the weeds in about 8 feet.
    Francis (in Elesian, MN) is good early in the morning… out in front of the old “Kaplan’s Point” in 15 feet of water… drifting leaches on small jigs… up to 25 ft as the sun comes out. In fact, 25 foot is the magic number to drift them suspended over the 35 big foot hole. These fish are deep in the day. LOL have fun !
    Hawger

Anonymous

I have also heard that live bait rigs pulled over the “rock pile” during the day on Madison can be effective as well.
    Your idea for the East Bay intrigues me. So over the tops of the weeds eh? Have you ever gone in and tried jigging with
    weedless jig varieties?

I use to fish with my family as a child on Francis and have not been back in 20 years. Might have to try her out.
    thanks for the info!

Keep the rods bendin’!!!!

Jim W

Anonymous

Good luck… let me know how you do.
    Shallow divers ofer the weeds on Madison…. you have to be way back behind you… they are “spooky”, but this works for me 75% of the time when I go there.
    Or… pull nose first into the weedline (let the wind take you in or use trolling mtr.) and fancast shallow divers (I like Salmo Hornets or Salmo Minnows, and Bang-o-lures… Bright colors and cromes in the daylight and darker colors at night… if there is not a moon.
    Mistly I use weedless jigs in cabbage and sandgrass, stick-ups and trees…. they are worth their weight in gold !
    Hawger

Anonymous

I was at Lake Tetonka today… saw lots of “split-pea soup” colored water… yes, it is green to the max…. But, I did have one of the locals tell me that the stripers are going just nuts! They are supposed to be hitting on all the points… just look for the popping at the surface. One person I spoke to said he had caught 30+ from one spot! 2 cool . They are big fun to catch.
    Hawger

Anonymous

On Madison you can also troll #5 shad raps, black and gray, on the resort side of the narrows and catch fish. You could also troll spinners in the same area out deeper for eyes too. Good luck and give us a report when you get back from fishin.

Anonymous

Hawger, What part of the lake is “the channels” or are they all over? Then just pull them across the bottom?

Anonymous

Sorry for not being very specific there Chappy…

From the outlet on the East end (BRIDGE… WATER FLOWING OUT) proceed along the South shoreline… cabins, cabins, cabins… NO MORE CABINS you see a BIG CUT OUT CHANNEL… then …cabins, cabins, cabins…

That is the channels. There is a cut going back about 200 yards with two “L” shaped channels that have cabins all round.

You fish the drop outside the cut at the main lake.

DasGootYea…DarItIs…Yea jus pull it hey. Kinda of a “just drag it” works good. Hour before dark… till dark thirty… unless you have a big moon. No moon… head for some artificial lights on someones dock. Fish’ll be there at 10:00 ish… till all night long .

Hawger

shewhofishes
    Iowa

We stopped there and fished for a little while Saturday afternoon. Was looking for Crappies but did pick up 2 small Walleyes. We had a pretty productive day. We ended up with 3 jumbo Perch 3 White Bass and 2 Crappies that we kept and ate for supper tonight.

Anonymous

Cool .
    shewhofishes…
    Tetonka has some great eating perch, and big ones too. Were they shallow?
    I love it when I get into them in numbers.
    Is the lake getting any cleaner yet? I will not be able to go till Sunday….but hope to hit it early in the AM.
    Hawger

shewhofishes
    Iowa

Yes the Lake was pretty clear again. I noticed a lot of floating weeds in some spots big clumps of them. Yes the Perch were kind of shallow. 2 of them I caught by that sand bar just east of the camp ground.

Anonymous

Ok… I’ll check it out on Sunday … Thanks!
    Hawger

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.