Noon Crappies on Tetonka

• Anonymous

Nice to get big crappies… but at noon.. even nicer.
    Big Tetonka Crappies… nice big ones… the size that you want to show off back at the ramp! Been a while back for me to get some this size from Tetonka. They are on the weedlines next to the “Channels” and in the shade under the bridge at Hwy 13. What was working best was small jigs(1/32 to 1/16) dresseed with a crappie minnow. You can work them under a bobber or just “swim” them close to the bottom, or near the weeds. For the weeds, I ancohr on the edge… so I can cast the edge in both directions and just “tickle the tops” where the weeds play out. Ancohring here, you’ll spook out some fish… but in 30 min they’ll be back, right under your boat! Under the bridge, you’ll need to ancohr also… to do this, drop your ancohr at the shore line next to the bridge-wall where the water goes in… and let the boat be carried under the bridge. Set your rope so you are 1/2 in the sun and 1/2 in the shade. Now, you’ll have the boat right next to the wall and out of boat traffic. After 20 minutes, the crappies will get over your presence and not be spooked. Heck, they do not care if you are there or not… a zillion boats are going over their heads every day under that bridge! Right where the shade starts from the bridge (on the water going in side of the bridge)you can see the stripers suspending! You’ll take several before they spook… then they are done for an hour or so…. but a great size & fight also… To fish them correctly… stay back about 20 yards outside the in side of the bridge and cast to the shade-line with Mepps spinners (their XD – extra deep… series worked for me)and small jigs and minnows. The stripers want a moving bait. Use Mepps silver spinners and you’ll just kill them! You’ll get 6 or 8 till they spook. In two days, the boys and I took several limits of nice Crappies from these two spots. Go get em !
    Hawger

Anonymous

Thanks for the report. Must be rough spending the noon like that hauling in nice crappies. I’m jealous.

Anonymous

Hawger, sounds like great fun. My usual summer crappie spots have been a dissappointment so far, maybe I’ll give it a try. Can you tell me where Tetonka is? I’ve heard of it plenty but never been there. What’s the best way to get there from the cities and where to launch? Thanks for the info.

Anonymous

Take Interstate 35 South to Fairbault, Mn

then take Hwy 60 West to Waterville, Mn.

At the red light on Hwy 60 & Hwy 13, you’ll turn right on Hwy 13.

Go North on Hwy 13 to Paquin St. (only a couple of blocks… you are now in Waterville, MN… and bait shop is nearly across the street from where you turn).

Go West on Paquin through and out of town a couple of miles… till you see a Best Point Resort sign at the junction of Co. Hwy #170… and turn right at the sign.

Stay on the black top and you go right to the access.

Grab a lake map… lots of structure.

More help ( 507.202.0312 ) just call me .

Hawger

Dave Hoggard

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I plan on being there Fri. night, Sat., or both. If you see a red Lund Rebel with a 50HP Johnson flag me down, we’ll talk. P.S. Are there any smallmouth in Tetonka and what would you suggest for walleyes?

shewhofishes
    Iowa

Well what a surprise. I seen this web site advertise on the news one night and thought I should check it out. When getting here I seen a familar face and topics on my favorite lake (Tetonka) and favorite fish Crappies. I usally don’t have any trouble finding them on Tetonka but this year I haven’t been able to find them like the years in the past. Thanks Hawger for sharing where you found them we will have to give it a try this weekend. Funny how it works we stay at the same camp ground even have the same kind of camper now. How do you like your new camper? We need to start looking for a new one soon also. See you this weekend and thanks for the great tips.

Anonymous

Hey neighbor!

Yep, I like it. Lots more room. Price was right too.

The crappie thing is an art… takes swimming the jig. I just refuse to bobber them… habit I guess. But the kids catch just as many as I do with bobbers.

I like a 1/32 oz head and crappie minnow… I like gold heads more than painted too. On Tetonka, the crappies are still on the weedlines…. mosty this time of the year, they suspend (in late summer) over the flats though. I missed them on the spawn…. just did not make it between the storms and rising waters.

See you on the water there !

Hawger

Dave Hoggard

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.