Lake Francis – Elesian, MN

• Anonymous

I fished on Francis all day Friday. I took my oldest boy, Jeff, out of school for the day and we played “hookie”! I figure he can learn from some “hookie” and help me with some R&D for tackle at the same time.

What a day! We caught at least 100 sunfish from hand size to three fingers past my wrist… great day of pan fishing. Then too it was a great day for Bass and Northerns!

We both caught at least 50 bass each… some of the bigger ones were three to four lbs. The fishing excitement was there all day, and my boy never lost interest.

The highlight of the trip was getting to try out some new spinner/jigs fron Mr. Twister, called the “Spinner Top”. It is a jig/spinner combination with a top mounted spinner on a bananna shaped head. The hook is xtra long and has bait keeper barbs. You tie to an “S” bend that comes out of the front of the lead head that holds the spinner.

Those of you who know me , know that I am a real “Beetle-Spin” freak for bass & panfish… well I am now a “Spinner Top” freak! I love these things… let me explain why.

In comparison with a Beetle Spin….

Frist, on the down-side… is that you do not feel the thump-thump of the spinner as well as with a Beetle Spin.

The up-side is that the Spinner Top is nearly weedless! Far more weedless than a Beetle Spin for throwing into any weeds. Actually, a Beetle Spin is not good in weeds at all… and must be made to swim over the weeds. A Spinner Top can be taken right through the thickest weeds. This lure is great for bass in cabbage and high & tall weeds!

We fished with the “Spinner Top” most all day and found that it not only was great in weeds, but also great for deep water jigging. The bass just loved it, so did the northerns!

2 Cool to have a spinner/jig that is so good in weeds. All I had was Chartreuse with Crome Blade… but I’ll be stocked up with the other colors & blade combos… real quick. My guess is that they are going to be real hot on Summer pattern weed walleyes.

They come in 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2.

The bite was good all day, panfish are spawning… look for sunfish beds in four feet of water near sand and rocks.

Bass are in up to seven feet and in the thickest of weeds. The water is much cleaner & more clear than in Lake Madison or Washington. I fished those lakes on Saturday and had little success.

Hawger

Anonymous

Hey Hawger, which size-weight do recomend for panfish and which for bass? Thanks

Anonymous

The deeper you go the more weight you’ll need (larger head) or the faster you drift is so also. I like the fact that all weights they make, have the same large sized hook… But, stay as light as you can!
    Hawger

Sheephead

Hi Dave, i know you fish Francis once in awhile, I was wondering if you’ve ever fished Ray’s lake over there? I’m gonna be moving to that area in a couple of months and was wondering if there’s anything in there worth bothering to give it a try! Any Bass, panfish? Thanks, Sheephead!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.