Fishers this weekend

• redrockeyes2

I am brining my 10 yr old son up to Mille Lacs for his first fishing trip with pops. I have fished Milles Lacs before but it has been 4 years.I fished the south end near Isle and remeber it being very good. I have looked for my old map but cant seem to find it so it looks like I need to buy a new one.Is there one out there that has gps coordinates on it? I seem to rmeber mine had some community spots on it were marked.Any one have any suggestions for the area around Fishers resort.I have a 19ft bass boat that we will be running so I do not expect to go veryu far out but was hoping to be able to fish some rocks for smallies and maybe some gravel for his first eyes. any help would be much appreciated

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

last time I was up I bought the Lakemaster map as my hotspoots map was out dated. The map is a little spendy but has much better detail than most of the others and it has GPS cooridinates to reefs, rock piles and flats

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

If you are launching at Fischers, they sell lake maps with gps coordinates for the hots spots and popular holes and flats. $16 I think. I have one and its a time saver.

redrockeyes2

Thanks for the tips.I will buy a map at the resort.I want to save as much time as possible and get the boy on some fish.Hopefully the wather will hold and the wind will not kick our butts.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Fishers has a great launch and harbor. But don’t rule out trailering to another resort or public ramp on the calm side of the lake if the wind kicks up.

Also, I have a few friends that keep seasonal campers over there and go out on the Fisher launch often. They have been pretty consistent on getting their people on fish. So that is always an option too.

-J.

redrockeyes2

John,
    Thanks for the input.I am considering a launch if the fishing is tough.seeing as how he is 10 and most times we are fishing crappies and bass on our local lake we have consistant action.I want to try and put him on some eyes

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I sent you a PM. (Personal Message) There is a flashing icon on the upper right hand corner of the page. Just click on that. Good Luck!

-J.

stasney
    New Prague, MN

There are a lot of reefs and rock piles to the south of fishers resort. Personally I have never fished in that area this time of year, but I think if you try setting up on some shallow rocks towards the evening, like the last hour of light, you should have some luck. Try anchoring and fishing bobbers with leeches or night crawlers.

redrockeyes2

Thank you all or your advice. I am making a gameplan right now,hopefully the weather holds and I can get him on some eyes. I have been around since the FTR days but had to chnage my login as I coulnt rember my information. This site is awesome and the folks who give input are great.I know it has ghelped me over the years. Hope you all have a great weekend,I know I will no matter what the fishing and weather are like,heck I am on a boys weekend with my son.

Chris Meisch
    Ramsey, MN 55303

Good luck and enjoy the time with your son! I hope you pound fish!

redrockeyes2

The weekend was a blast.Got to Fishers around 8:30 pm Friday.Wind was blowing in a bit which made setting up the tent somewhat of a challenge.After a few laughs as the tent engulfed Tanner we had the tent up and ready to go. Of cousre the fisrt thing he did when we got to the camp site is slip down and put his feet in the water.He was ecited to be at Mille Lacs,its for real and not just on the fishing game dad. Saturday morning we slpet in until 7 am and were greeted with a windy morning.We trailered the boat to Garrison and had some breakfast then headed out to Myr Mar to see what we could catch.We mareked plenty and had a few misses. It was raining and blowing so we dicided to move after about 20 minutes. We headed over towards Garrison Reef.Along the way I marekd a little rock pile so we set up for a few drifts.It was awesome all the fish we were marking,I noticed the top 5 feet there was a solid black line then arcs under the cloud.I assumed there was a bug hatch taking place.After about 2 hours of getting blown around Tanner was getting bored so we headed to Mcdonanlds for lunch the to camp.We took a shower then kicked back to watch a movie on out cots.We both fell asleep to the sound of waves crashing in. We woke up at 6 ,the wind had died down so we decided to launch out of Fishers and head to Wealthwood rock piles to bober fish.We stayed until 9:30 the headed back to a spot near Fishers(Thanks Jon J) and fished there until 11pm.We had the bobbers go under a few times but missed the fish as we were to busy having a rap off to Vanilla Ice on the IPOD. I won,you cant beat the old school rapper. We headed in to have some food and watch the erst of the movie.Sunday we woke up at 8am then headed for breakfast.On the water at 9:30. Again marked tons of fish which was fun for him but didnt put the hook into anything. We didnt fish all that hard but had a blast in the boat.He is one funny littel dude so I laughed alot. He liked to move from spot to spot.He likes going across the lake and watching the gps and map.So I burned alot of gas. We tried for some smallies but after hooking several rock he was losing interest.We pulled the boat and went to camp to take it down.We played some tag and waded in the water.We took of for home around 2pm.All in all he had a great time which is all I could have hoped for. I notcied when we got back Saturday night there were indeed bugs everywher.Was I right in assuming there is a hatch going on or is it always like that? Would have loved to have gotten into the fish but a weekend away with your kids is always special and I am so happy we did it.He is ready to go back and get his fisrt walleye yet.I have never fished that section of the lake so I was flying blind. Again thanks everyone for your input.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Neat story! We ran a similar program fishing the Myr-Mar area. We got a decent mix of slots, perch and a few smallies. I had a friend with a young angler in the boat too! Those fronts moving through in waves was interesting. You could see the sheets of rain coming at you giving you just enough time to get the rain suit back on.

The bug hatch Friday were the midges. I gotta believe they hatch several times a year. Good thing is they all die off in a day or so. Leave a light on and they will get thick in a hurry!

-J.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

that is what it is all about! Would have been nice to add a couple fish to the story, good way to get your kid involved in the out doors.

redrockeyes2

Heading back up Augaut 8th with my bro in law. we are going to fish it hard then I will bring Tanner back up. I need to get some on the water and get some confidence so we dont spend so much time jumping around.plus with his short attention span I need to try to locate the fish quicker. I hadnt been on the pond in 4 years during the summer so it was geat to get back out.I am trying to find a seasonal site and get the whole family up there for next year.looking for an ice shack I can use year around. I will look around when I am back up there.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Sounds like you guys had a blast Did you get the 10 minute showers on and off all day saturday The midges were pretty bad friday night already…. we kept the lights off at the cabin as much as possible, they looked like little clouds buzzing around

big G

redrockeyes2

G,
    We did have a blast.He is still talking about the trip. We did indeed get the on and off showers Saturday,kind of made it more of an adventure. He got a kick out of putting on his new rain gear the having the water spray as we poundedd through the waves. The midges were nuts at one point as we were going back in on Saturday night he said Dad is it snowing? It looked like snow when the bugs showed up in the nav lights. I told him yes it is put your tounge out and catch a snowflake on your tounge
    he may be young but hes not dumb so the tounge stayed in the mouth. Cant wait to get back there.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.