Marine Band Radio Channel

• Backtroller
    North Dakota

I just got a marine band radio for fishing this time of year and am wondering if you can share radio etticute and operations tips for me. I tend to fish alone quite a bit and would like to know tha tbest channel to monitor and what channel is used more for chatter on Mille Lacs.

Any thoughts or help is appreciated!

See ya Saturday!

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Hey Backtroller,
    Many do use marine radios on Mille Lacs in both the winter and summer months. I myself have a base in my home and a unit in the boat….also use a handheld in the Otter portable! We monitor channel 82 and also scan some. Many of the resort launches run on the lower channels. Most folks do use a handle (name)

I will list some of the others that I know:

Hunters Point Resort channel 78
    Mac’s channel 77 ??
    Lybacks ice fishing channel 80
    Karpens Resort channel 68

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Lot’s of chatter on 68 from the South & East guys. One thing you want to be real carefull of is No Cussing! Lots of radios in the kitchen with mom and the kids sitting around the table. You will get an earfull if you drop the F-Bomb.

As Bob mentioned, most have a Handle, I think Backtroller is already in use. lol

Jon J.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hi Backtroller,
    Marine band is in the VHF bands, and trans/rec are line of sight. more radios are set so when you turn them on, they come up on chan 16 which is your emergency chan. the longer your antenna the further you can trans/rec. most radios also have preset NOAA weather service channels that have continuous broadcasts of conditions and forecasts. most radios have 10 preset channels, and they are all different frequencies, so just about anywhere you are at least one of the WX channels will be able to be received, keep changing chans til you have one with the best reception. the WX chans are real helpful to monitor thunderstorms and update for severe weather watches. An FCC radio operators permit am sure is not required for use. the fishing info and sharing with friends on the water is fun, but safety is the biggest for me. enjoy your radio. Jack.

Backtroller
    North Dakota

Thanks for the help. I wil have to think of a new name in the future since mine is already in use! I am looking forward to getting on the water again! I just put the boat away today and after hearing the conditions over the next few days, may have to pull it out for one last hoorah!

Thanks again!
    F-KNAB (Formerly Known As Backtroller)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.