Topwater smallies

• birddog
    Mn.

Spent some time this weekend chasing small mouth. I targeted East side rocks, the shallower the better, most fish came in water less than 2′, it seemed like the bigger fish came shallow, smaller ones came off the break. I started out pitching tubes, caught a few fish. I changed over to Xraps, again catching a few fish but not the size I was hoping for. While throwing the xrap I noticed some bronze backs breaking the surface…time for the surface baits!! I threw on a small orange chug bait, first cast was a 19″….game on! Over the next few hours caught a 8 or so, but only 3 breaking the 18″ mark, the rest were in the 15-16″ range. If they didn’t hit within seconds of the bait hitting the water, they didn’t hit at all. I tried twitching, walking, chugging and popping back to the boat…no go. Every fish came in the first 3-4 seconds of the cast…Immediate. What a blast!! The weather couldn’t have been better and the fishing was good…it was a good day, nothing like smallies on the surface. A couple of the better fish pics and the storm that blew through over the west side on sat.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.