Website for daily aerial satellite imagery?

• mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Hello Everyone:

Now that they’ve changed the website at modis, does anyone know how to get at the old ice maps??? Thank You In Advance!!!

Mark

Karry Kyllo

MODIS Today goes back to 2007. Just go into the drop down menu with the date in it. I just looked at the site.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Karry, Thanks for helping out… couple questions, once ya are zoomed into the 250m pic, is there any way to zoom in closer??? And in the past they took pics several hours each day. I went back to Dec. 14th to get a decent pic of Lake Superior, just to see one!!! It’s amazing that our weather has been so cloudy for basically a month now. Any other insights to the new Modis would be wonderful, if not I’ll dig in at the UW and see if I can’t get any other of these answers…

Mark

Karry Kyllo

Karry, Thanks for helping out… couple questions, once ya are zoomed into the 250m pic, is there any way to zoom in closer??? And in the past they took pics several hours each day. I went back to Dec. 14th to get a decent pic of Lake Superior, just to see one!!! It’s amazing that our weather has been so cloudy for basically a month now. Any other insights to the new Modis would be wonderful, if not I’ll dig in at the UW and see if I can’t get any other of these answers…

Mark

Mark,

Clouds are a big problem with satellite images for sure but that’s just
    the nature of the beast. I’m sure there are more ways to zoom satellite images with the right software but one thing that I’ve done is to download the Modis images and when saved as .jpeg images, they can be further zoomed in to a resolution higher than 250m. It’s crude but it works.

isu22andy

Anyone got anything for weekly ? Even monthly ? Thanks

tswoboda

Not sure what exactly you’re looking for but higher-res photos than MODIS are publicly available. They’re just taken less frequently so you won’t get one on every clear day like with MODIS. I’ll screenshot some daily images of URL and LOTW on the clear days during December and January of this winter.

Attachments:
    1. 240107-LOTW.jpg

2. 231218-LOTW.jpg

3. 231228-LOTW.jpg

4. 231218-URL.jpg

5. 231213-LOTW.jpg

6. 231213-URL.jpg

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Karry:

Thanks for the update!!! Saving jpegs to look closer isn’t necessarily what I’m looking for. Really looking for more pics each day to assess clear vs. cloudy conditions. And this time of year for any of the Great Lakes is always going to be an issue because of the vast amount of water the air above can turn into clouds.

tswoboda:

Do you have a link to that site or what are you looking at to get that kind of resolution???

I’m going to send an email to the limnology department at the UW/Seagrant folks to see if they might have any answers…

Mark

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Not sure what exactly you’re looking for but higher-res photos than MODIS are publicly available. They’re just taken less frequently so you won’t get one on every clear day like with MODIS. I’ll screenshot some daily images of URL and LOTW on the clear days during December and January of this winter.

And???? Or should we just send a message when we want to see our particular lake. Those are very good images, can you post one of Cedar Lake west of Aitkin for me please?

tswoboda

And???? Or should we just send a message when we want to see our particular lake. Those are very good images, can you post one of Cedar Lake west of Aitkin for me please?

no need to be a dik about it. with that attitude i’ll send you a hi-res image of my nutsack

Ripjiggen

I just spit out my coffee… jester

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i just laughed out loud in the office and got some weird looks. wow that was a zinger!!! waytogo

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

no need to be a dik about it. with that attitude i’ll send you a hi-res image of my nutsack
    [/quote]

For crying out loud, lighten up. First of all dick is spelled with a c in it. Secondly I’d love seeing a hi-res image of your nutsack. After this response it might tell us something about you. No attitude intended, I apologize. OK, Can you please send the URL of the site. As stated it has excellent images and I am sure many of us on IDO would appreciate the information. Thank you so much for your consideration as a dick, and speaking for myself, it seems like such an informative post as yours would have included the URL, my bad.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Hay look..

Attachments:
    1. nutsack.jpg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.