Best night ever…last night

• Steve Hougom
    Onalaska, WI

Just heard from James. HOLY SMOKES did they get into BIG fish last night. Just from a size standpoint, they had 15 fish between 27 and 30 1/4 inches last night. Are you kidding me?! Black and Gold stickbaits pulled in 10 feet of water. The crank is only running down 4 feet and the fish are coming up for it. Of course they also had massive numbers below 27 and above 23 as well! James said that was probably the best trip he’s ever run in terms of numbers and size. Word of caution, there is a cold front that has moved in so it might be REALLY cold up there if your heading up. Be sure and get a weather report before you head up so you know what to expect.

Steve Hougom – FTL Webstaff

Anonymous

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know if James is running boards? What stick bait only runs four feet down? Husky Jerk with 12′ of line out out? )

I am headed there tonight. Hopefully this cold front will not have a major effect on the bite.

Anonymous

Wow, James is in the right place, with the right touch. I went back up last night as Saturday night was just to much fun. Not the results of 3 nights ago. I hooked into 2 in the first 5 minutes and thought here we go again. then the next 3 hours I landed 4. I was in the same area on the east side, all my fish have been coming in 6 or 7 feet and bouncing the bottom. Didnt try running them up in the deeper water. Looking forward to the weekend again, we will give it another go. Biggest this trip was 24.

Dman

Steve Hougom
    Onalaska, WI

I thought thats what he said but he was on his cell phone and it was crackling and I couldnt make out everything! Sounds like one of those new Sprint commercials where the guy brings home Charo instead of painting the house tommorrow. The whole point of it is to run em shallow if you run them too deep as in banging bottom, you wont catch the fish. Same principle as Hawger having that big Walleye follow on a muskie jerkbait these fish are coming up to chase cranksbaits.

If this weather really gets cold though you might see a switch in the fish’s behavior.

Steve Hougom – FTL Webstaff

Anonymous

Holy smokes!! I knew since I couldn’t make it up this fall that the bite would be over the top. Story of my life!! Thanks guys for posting the info. I can at least live vicariously through your catches. Can’t wait to see the pics!!! Keep the reports coming….

Anonymous

I’m suprized you’re not at mille lacs Steve, sounds like you’re missing a heck of a bite. WOW!

Anonymous

Fished Wednesday night and ended up with 45 fish. 10 short of the slot, 13 in the slot, and the rest over. The biggest fish was a little over 28″. We ended up taking 11 slot fish home. We threw the other two back so we could keep fishing and of course couldn’t catch a slot fish once we decided to keep the next one and head for home. We pulled shallow shad raps (crawfish and perch) along points in 4-9 feet of water at 2.2 MPH (GPS). Running the bowmount yielded bigger fish and also better numbers then running the kicker.

There were not many boats on the water! I was expecting a lot of company but the ramp was practically empty and we only saw a few boats all night.

Get there if you can!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.