Perch are going!

• Anonymous

I was up to the pond last Saturday thru Tuesday afternoon. The walleye were slow for my boat. Kinda took it easy… wife and I were getting away from the TV and radio, just unwinding from last week.

Got into some daytime perch action trolling #5 shad raps on Big Point. Nice one’s too. After tossing the first few back I started keeping them. Ended up with nice bunch to clean up. Plenty of fish to eat for this guy!!

Just nice to be out this time of year. Air is cool, trees are changing color and the nights are getting long……

J.

DONOTDELETE

Hey Jon,

So did you get a chance to get out and pull plugs after dark this past weekend and if so how was the bite? Most that I’ve talked to are reporting spotty results…. I could care less about “slots” and the talk is of few bigger fish… yet. Any news of the big girls doing night duty?! Thanks man.

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

Anonymous

James,

Yes I did. Got out Saturday evening for what looked like great trolling conditions. Nice chop, steady wind out of the south. Put in 3 hours 9-12. Not a huge effort I admit, but had already put in a good day already!! I would call spotty optomistic! Got 2 short fish that night. Like really short! My only slot fish came during the day. (let him go cause I had a bag of perch and did’nt feel like cleaning one fish) Nothing big.

I did not hear any reports of a good walleye night bite. Everyone is talking musky, musky, musky!! That bite and the pike seem to be the main topic on the VHF. Lots of good fish comming to the boat.

That’s typical for the area I fish. I’m not worried a bit. The big girls will be there next week!!!

J.

Anonymous

Hey Jon,

I will be up chasing muskies next week – hearing anything specific?

Thanks!!

Anonymous

Don’t need to hear anything….just look! Here are the spots I have SEEN the musky guys. No secrets here, if you went on a weekend, you wouldn’t be alone.

Isle Bay. All the way out to the main lake.

Mac Twim Bay. All the way out to the markers.

Sunset Bay. Out from Karpens and right out and to the south of Fishermans Wharf.

Speaking of marker bouies. They were pulling them this weekend. The Big Point marker is gone. Also, the DNR had nets out Monday. If you see bright Orange Markers near shore, steer clear. You wouldn’t wnat to be the guy who has to untangle a 100 feet of net from your lower unit!!

J.

Anonymous

Hey Jon J.

The fish we’ve been getting have come out of deeper water, 12 – 15′. The best reports and most boats seem to be on hunters point. Were using #8 shads.

Hook

Anonymous

Thanks Hooks. I have been working too shallow and too deep. Just needed one more day to get it figured out! Need a computer at the trailer.

J.

Anonymous

you and me both!

Almost go thru withdrawls with no internet in the evening at the cabin.

I’m heading up friday and fishing friday and saturday night. Couple hours each.

The deep rocks have been giving up nice perch and 20″ + walleyes during the day.

Hook

DONOTDELETE

Anyone done any perch’in back in Isle or Wahkon Bays lately? The last couple years the jumbos have been in thick back in those two bays. Who needs to worry about keeping walleye when a guy can go out a fill a bucket with jumbos in no time flat?!

Just curious. I plan to check it out during the afternoon regardless just to see if I can get the makings of a fish fry.

James Holst

Anonymous

Hook, I will be coming up Saturday afternoon sometime, got a big B-day party for My niece who will be five now, so have to attend that. Big G may be coming also.

see ya then.

Dman

Anonymous

I talked with a buddy at Gander last night. He was up last Friday prior to archery opener. They caught 4 eyes in a couple hours right at dusk. They trolled around the pine island area. He said they caught one dandy perch and a couple smallies.

James,

I’d really like to help you catch some of those perch. I’ve never fished for them on softwater. We did well last winter up there. It’s amazing how much meat 20 10″ perch provide, that was our min length to keep. What should I have for tackle, slip bobber, plain hooks and some crawlers??? Maybe some small jigs?? Have you ever tried vertical jigging a pimple this time of year?? Deadly winter lures…. We used to vertical jig big spoons on Oahe for the deep hawgs in the fall.

Let me know if you mind if I can tag along/follow when your hunting perch.

DONOTDELETE

A group perch’n effort would be fine by me. Small jigs and a scoop of fats is all its taken the last couple years to get the job done. Its shallow water fishing, 6′-8′ or so, right outside of the weed edge in these bays. I haven’t tried the pimple on these fish but I’m sure it would work well.

James Holst

Anonymous

Last weekend the perch were biting like mad in front of the campground across the Bay from the Wahkon city park access,can’t miss the spot- there will be a bunch of boats there. Caught a few walleyes and nice sized perch on the graveyard too.

DONOTDELETE

Yup, that’s the spot! Good to hear they’re in there thick. Is the size running good or are they pretty well picked through?

James Holst

Anonymous

The bigger ones were biting on leeches. If you used a piece of crawler or a

crappie minnow on a teardrop or jig all we caught were small ones. With 2

kids fishing I had all I could do to keep their 2 lines in the water,the first time I

saw any boats over there was Sat. afternoon. Last year they bite in that

spot for 2 weeks.

Anonymous

This post is very self serving….but…. I do so seldom ring my own bell.

I suggest you try Bait Rigs Panfish Willospoons for perch.

I got a call last night from a person who was a waiter that years ago in some resturant, somewhere, I was the recipiant of his good service and I had sent him some of my Willospoons. His call to me was to ask where he could buy them, as he had out fished all those in his group using them last year on their trip. I am guessing this was last ice season. I told him to go on Walleye Central and look for Bait Rigs Tackle. They are sold at Cabela’s (but they do not have all the newer colors). Best to buy from the factory at 1-800-236-RIG1 (or contact Joe Puccio / Bait Rigs Tackle at 813-B Stewart Drive, Madison, WI 53713). I hear this often from those who used the Willospoon, that they do better than anyone elce not using the lure.

I am doing a tv show in December with two brothers Frank and Art Hogate, here in Owatonna, with the subject to be of ice-fishing with these Panfish Willospoons. These two do Lake of the Woods for perch and kick b— using the Willospoons almost exclusively (they love the glow-in-the-dark ones). Why? The Walleye Willospoon (larger) and Panfish Willospoon (two sizes of smaller) is a unique kind of ultra light flutter-spoon made with a single hook. Perch are attracted by the flash (and color) on the extreme slow fall and wobble/flutter on the lift of the spoon as well when you work the lure. They attack it as if it is a leech! Which it memics as it falls. Perch key on the hook that pivots underneath the spoon at rest, as the live bait you attach dangles inticingly. Poping and hopping the jig stick makes this spoon dance and swim/flutter as if it was a living thing… instead of a lure. The big plus is that you will not be “cleaned-off” by bait steelers 10 to 1 over a plain jig and Willospoons EVERY TIME work better than even a plain hook/split-shot and the same live bait. None of those deep throat swallows resulting in having to dig for the hook with a Willospoon compaired to a plain hook. It is nearly impossible to swipe the waxie or piece of crawler from the pivoting hook that so eaisly gets sucked into the mouth of the fish as he bites at it. Made from the pak with super sharp Mustad AccuPoint hooks (on newer styles) a Willospoon and live bait combo is a fish catching machine. There is no equal.

Down-side…. A very slow fall takes a long time to get deep and requires a wait in deeper water. I never mind the wait as I would rather take the time and get a fish each trip down as have to come back up empty handed from a bait-steeler and have to re-bait and go down again. Perch, sunfish, crappies, walleyes, all are nuts for thi Ring….Ring….Ring…. oops… , gotta go. Someone just rang my bell!

Hawger

Anonymous

Thanks for the info Jon – I guess there are no secrets on Mille Lacs – the muskie spots are like fishing a treadmill sometimes! Sure pays to get away from the crowd and try new spots.

Thanks again!

DONOTDELETE

Just in case people aren’t familiar with the willow spoon, here’s a really cool pic, sent out to us at FTL for an entirely different purpose, but with the discussion of the willow spoon going on I figured “a pictures worth a thousand words….”

I personally can vouch for these willowspoons. I was out with Hawger earlier this spring working over some huge panfish out of a mine pit near Owattona….. well I was trying to work them over. Light jigs tipped with a taste of a crawler got tons of bites and some nice fish but I’d lose a half dozen pieces of crawler for every fish I put in the boat. I guess Hawger had enough of watching me feed his fish so he gave me one of the smaller willow spoons. To make an already long story short, I was able to hook and land 13 nice sunfish on my first chunck of crawler. The panfish found it almost impossible to rip the crawler lose and the fish actually ran noticeably larger when fishing that spoon vs. a plain light jig.

I’m looking forward to running the larger willow spoons on the river behind a 3-way for fall walleye to see if that subtle wobble works on the river like it did in the lake. I’ll let everyone know how that turns out of course!

James Holst

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.